52mm cranks on single speed bike

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey folks, can anyone please advise? I think I may have mucked up with the cranks I bought for my single speed play bike build. I bought a set of Shimano MT510 cranks which have a chainline of 52mm, it also says on Shimano website they’re compatible with 135mm OLD. I might be over thinking this as I can space the rear DMR single speed kit accordingly. I’m just worried that it’ll not work? Does anyone happen to know if it’ll work ok? There’s so much info on the net it’s got me baffled. Cheers TRX

it will work fine. stop worrying about it. 52mm chain line is from the centre of the axle (BB and wheel, they share a centre line, who knew? :) ).
135mm OLD is between the dropouts measurement, so half that and you get 66mm, which means you've got 13mm (ok, knock of 3mm to account for gap and locking ring etc.) to position your cog in. or, in more basic terms, with your DMR rings, your cog is going to be to the outside of the freewheel, somewhere near where the second cog would be normally in a full cassette.

Hey Novo, thank you for your reply. I’m going to have a play with fitting the bb and cranks today. Cheers for helping put my mind to ease!

Cranks are on but I think I need to space the dmr sprocket further out.

Attachments

• C5E99E90-2426-417D-B00B-927393E664BF.jpeg
    C5E99E90-2426-417D-B00B-927393E664BF.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 9
yes you do. maybe I was confusing. second cog from the smallest, not the largest. :) you can work out roughly where it should be from my above comment. 13mm from the drop out. :)

you know you can remove the brake bosses and fill the hole with an M10 grub screw don't you? much cleaner than the plastic travel caps you've got on now. :)

a quick look suggests the big ring and 1 small on the back side, then the cog, then 1 ring and the lock ring, should get you pretty much in the right ball park.

Like this? I’ve had a chain on in place and it looks ok. Ahh yeah the brake bosses. I don’t mind them as it’s a nod to the old school! This frame is a 2nd gen Planet X Jack Flash I bought when they were down to £50… couldn’t say no! Haha

Attachments

• 92A4FCD7-CD6E-4747-B677-CBB2DB639A1D.jpeg
    92A4FCD7-CD6E-4747-B677-CBB2DB639A1D.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 8
yer, I reckon that will be pretty damn close.

hard to say from a picture obviously, run it and see.
thought it was a shame they didn't make the jackflash with horizontal dropouts, would have made a belta of a frame then.

Cheers, yes I’ll give it a try see how it goes, I don’t think it’ll be as an extreme angle as a 1x11-12 in the lowest gear. It’ll hopefully be just fine!

Back