4x4 advice??

fingers":329p7nl6 said:
daj":329p7nl6 said:
Hello,

I know its a bike forum but always lots of sensible advice on here

Girlfriend has just moved up from London and its time to change the motor (Dawoo Matiz) , Her new pad is right out in the sticks of the Cotswolds, Known for bad roads in ice and snow.

Sooooooo looking 4x4 budget up to 3-4k ??

We were looking at the Original Freelander but kinda getting the impression to stay away unless have 6-8k for post 2003 TD4? :?

Any ideas??

Cheers

Dave

As a country vet working night & day in the sticks, all year round, my advice would be -

A front wheel drive car with ESP/traction control/LSD

(and I have lived in scotland... )

If youre really concerned fit M&S tyres (mud and snow).

If the snow is so bad you need off roader clearance - well, sure everything will be closed anyway.

I once took a golf over a pennine pass in the snow, only to discover the road was closed at the other end...

What he said +1, normal cars are surprisingly capable in 99.9% of circumstances, with driver skill normally being the limiting factor in most cases, although having piece of mind that you've got 4wd is a bonus, it certainly isn't foolproof, as well as adding weight, it'll also reduce your mpg, top speed and acceleration. I had a 1.8 petrol focus for years and having driven 4x4s for work for the last three years I can honestly say I've needed 4wd once or twice, which was on building sites where plant machinery had churned the ground up, never on the road. My advice would be save your money and get a decent handling 2wd car and get down your local skidpan, (which is also fecking good fun!)

Back