40 year old Tubulars - Safe to use?

Re:

As another tight fisted yorkshireman and a pensioner to boot I know exactly what you mean.However you do have to ask yourself what a week of work is going to cost you.Not to mention damage to the bike and the pain.Probably cheaper to chuck em.

BretonDave":2l0le9an said:
Mattr - you've just about covered every environmental scenario going!!
I've been at one shop when they found a heavy duty bin bag with a dozen or so 20-25 year old tubs in. Probably an employee tucking them away for Club mates who ended up not wanting them........ only thing that distinguished them from new was the old packaging. They'd been on the top shelf of some racking long enough to accumulate about half an inch of dust.

Unfortunately i was only an MTBer then, and completely uninterested.

They were bunged in the discount corner for something like a tenner each. The whole lot sold as soon as the first tub using roadie saw them.

I bet it's not the only time it's happened.

Re:

You lot are woody about what might happen, not what's likely. I bet you abide by sell buy dates as well :LOL:
If the tread is fine, the side walls the same and they retain air then they willvwotk. Ride them gently and inspect.
If you take them off, give them to me.

The OP.wanted opinions and got 'em! Mine is "Iwouldn't want to descend at 30mph on 40 year ld rubber when only a couple of square inches is in contact with the ground" ;-)

When I came to re-use my 40 year old racing wheels I decided the original Clements were past it, despite the fact they still held air. I replaced them with a set of Vittorias as they look the part and weren't too expensive.

I remember years ago that some riders bought tubs to store in cool, dark and dry conditions, as the tyres matured to give more puncture resistance, and rode faster. Some riders left them for up to 10 years. The recent world cyclo-cross elite champs was won by a rider using the tread from 15 year old unused tyres that was removed and stuck onto some Dugast cottons. He didn't puncture whereas many riders punctured in the very demanding conditions on the day.

It is all down to how the tyres have been used and then stored. I have had tyres that had been ridden in wet conditions, and then stored in a shed that was damp in winter, and hot and sunny in summer, and after less than two years the tyres had deteriated such that I wouldn't ride them. On the other hand I currently have tubs on my old racing wheels that are 10 years old, and seen little use over the years, and never used in wet conditions. They have been stored in ideal conditions and I have no hesitation using them. I also have spare tubs about 25 years old that I feel happy to use as spares, subject to testing. They have no sign of rubber perishing and the walls are in good condition. I test old tyres by inflating them to over 100psi (usually to about 140psi) on an old sprint rim and leaving them for a couple of days. Then I carefully check the tyre for any signs of twisting or deforming of the tread that would show that the tub fabric has deteriated under the tread ( perhaps following a slight cut in the tread letting water in and slightly rotting the cotton). I remember back in the 70s when using silk tubs (it was essential to not get silk tubs wet) and getting caught in an unexpected heavy shower during an evening 10. Within a few weeks the tub had twisted and deformed and were useless.

The OP's Wolber looks in surprisingly good shape for its age. They were robust tyres in their day – I used them on my training bike in the summer back in the 70s. But 40 years is a long time. If it was me I would test them and if they are OK would use them as spares and buy new tubs for the wheels. But I would also investigate the nick in the rim!

They are only good for a show bike............ Modern tubs are allot better & in 40years they will be ok..

Re:

Its not just tubs , how about 50+ year old used alloy handle bars or cranks . How safe are they?
Last year I removed a 50 year old set of Williams splined crank arms from one of my bikes . I just did not fancy seeing the tarmac close up . I have snapped much newer cranks before at the pedal end.
Maybe if you are lighter build but me ....no chance.

Depends on the grade TBH.
Newer stuff is made from much lighter, more highly alloyed stuff which *tends* to be more brittle, and will give little or no indication of imminent failure.

Older stuff might give you a few days or weeks of creaking, and visible crazing or cracks on the surface.
Or they might just go pop and fail instantly.

How long is a piece of 50 year old string?

Back