30 years since the Yeti/MBA Ultimate first draft...

Re: Re:

M-Power":2p152v9o said:
A lot of stealing others design IP back in the day or as the great Artists would say, inspiration. People rarely post pricey iconic stuff for sale on here as there are no buyers anymore. Thats more a function of UK economic uncertainty and members quite reasonably controlling their spending.

They do say all the best ideas are stolen...!

sinnerman":17wcg0ks said:
M-Power":17wcg0ks said:
A lot of stealing others design IP back in the day or as the great Artists would say, inspiration. People rarely post pricey iconic stuff for sale on here as there are no buyers anymore. Thats more a function of UK economic uncertainty and members quite reasonably controlling their spending.

For sure. My favourite is Picasso’s inspiration from African tribal masks. I have a few myself too.

M-Power":3ebl8ql7 said:
sinnerman":3ebl8ql7 said:
M-Power":3ebl8ql7 said:

For sure. My favourite is Picasso’s inspiration from African tribal masks. I have a few myself too.

I remember the conversation with KB when i asked about his original V brake design and did he ever kick himself for not putting a patent on it, given how shimano took it, he simply said...
"Carl if you go back in history far enough, everything has been done before".

The guys a legend.

Re:

“The guys a legend”

Agreed. Not enough people with that level of understanding on the planet. RB is definitely an amazing resource for expert opinion. As has been said a million times, its just the sites limitations holding it back.

M-Power":31s7dql0 said:

“The guys a legend”

Agreed. Not enough people with that level of understanding on the planet. RB is definitely an amazing resource for expert opinion. As has been said a million times, its just the sites limitations holding it back.

I forget whose credited with the quote I once heard

There’s no such thing as a new idea, just a lot of people with short memories

Not strictly true but there is a lot to be said for it never the less,

M-Power":oz8o3wir said:

“The guys a legend”

I appreciate everybodies experience is different, but having never used, Whats App, Instagram, Facebook etc etc, i must confess i dont actually find the use of this site any different to when i started just shy of ten years ago.

Nothing at all has changed, sure the home page isn't getting updated, the wiki botm has fallen behind, but thats about all i can see, and it doesn't detract from the site.

I had a moment with picture uploads, when every laptop and desktop i used stopped allowing me to resize images, this did stop me uploading here for a while, but it was the Host suppliers on the machines i was using, certainly nothing to do with Retrobike.

Being computer illiterate i didn't have a clue what to do, in the end i simply used the paint edit function on all the computers i use. Problem solved.

I did have a moment one day, where i tried to log on to Retro Bike and it was "gone", wouldn't load, went to another computer, the same thing, waited went to work, the same again.

I WAS GUTTED.

the best resource on the net for information bar none, like minded enthusiast, images, adverts, for sale, to buy, Wiki, reference, Whats it Worth page and the tickle BOTM, and BOTY, and the odd harmless bunfight amongst us.

But i was still gutted.

The relief i had when John posted it was unforeseen updates, and it was back to business as usual, was intense.

I think we should be thankful for small mercies, and appreciate what we have before we are quick to criticise what is after all a non profit service these days, before the plug is pulled and like MOMBAT we dont have it at all.

Re:

Not trying to knock the site harshly :D I know older gen forum software has its functional limitations and its not economically feasible ( bearing in mind this is a free resource) to migrate the whole site/DB over to a more modern platform. Its all cool by me. I spend too much time on here and flip through Insta, Pint, FB etc etc for the higher res pretty pics tbh. Always new kids on the block posting up their dream ‘bikes for likes’, like we all did/do. After a while we have seen the same iconic builds 100 times but strangely to me it never gets old :LOL: Always lots of really hard to find nice stuff on FB too but its import only and i’m kind of done with that.

sinnerman":3uie78jz said:
...having never used, Whats App, Instagram, Facebook etc etc, i must confess i dont actually find the use of this site any different to when i started just shy of ten years ago.

Nothing at all has changed, sure the home page isn't getting updated, the wiki botm has fallen behind, but thats about all i can see, and it doesn't detract from the site.

I realise this is really obvious. If you haven't used those and other technology resources, then you're missing why you can't see how they've detracted from the site. (There's a real problem with a lack of drive and promotion but that's an off-line discussion).

Social media platforms are by no means perfect, in fact, most are a cluster-fuck. But they have one thing this site hasn't got anymore - a truly global, connected audience.

I've made more connections through those platforms and as a result been able to speak directly with ex-riders, managers, owners, editors and best of all, enthusiasts in the last 2 years than I made here in 11. And through that evolving network you hear and see bikes, components and literature, read stories and anecdotes, buy and sell, that this site could only dream about. It could just be because of the Kona angle I have but I'm sure that's not the case and there are hives of activity across the sport and hobby we love.

This site has become an encyclopedia. And like those books, it's gathering dust whilst (rightly or wrongly) we're using Google instead.

Back