Wanted 26 or 27.5 sus fork, 1 1/8 straight steerer, thru axle

geb257

Devout Dirtbag
Contemplating mulleting a 26" frameset with a 27.5" front end. The combination of 27.5" wheel size, long (210mm +) 1 1/8" straight steerer and thru axle retention seems to be surprisingly rare. Anyone have anything that might work!?

Last edited:
You will struggle I reckon as 27.5 became popular after the move to tapered steerers so there was never a market for them.

You'd probably be better off looking for 29er forks but then use a 27.5 wheel.

Yes, you may well be right, it seems the middle of the Venn diagram joining these three standards is pretty empty!

DT SWiss made them, I have a 100mm one but it's not for sale! Some 26" forks will take a 27.5" wheel with a 2.1" tyre but it's close! If the arch hits the tyre under full compression you are going to be a mess! A spacer to limit full compression may be possible...

SR suntour epicon and raidon are or were both available in this set up. don't knock the SR name here, they are both very good forks. I say this because it's what's on my bike and they've proved to be more than up to the challange.
Rockshox reba was availble to, but are a worse fork than the SR (Steel stanchions, sprung fork).

Not sure what Reba fork you've experienced but they are an air fork with alloy uppers, as far as I know they have been since they first came out. I've had many, still have some, they are pretty much a sid in all honesty, and I've got a few sets of them too. You can actually use a straight CSU from on a 27.5 set of lowers and change the air shaft and rebound to compensate for the longer lowers and bobs your uncle, a. 27.5 Reba with a straight steerer. You'll need a longer rebound adjuster dial too as the void in the lowers is longer.

I'm talking solo air, but the same is possible for dual air, and depending on your travel needs, you might just be able to get away with removing travel spacers on the air side to compensate for the longer leg (if they were reduced that way from factory as some were).

I'd take a Reba over an sr fork any day

Some 26" Fox forks will accept a 27.5" wheel with a 2.3" tyre, I have a set of 2009 Fox 32 Talas RLC forks that will, but they did make changes to the brace at some point to stop people using 26" forks with a 27.5 wheel. If you can find the information or manual for a Fox fork you should find the maximum diameter of wheel and tyre and you can compare that to this chart.

Bump as would also be interested in anything 26" that satisfies the criteria (210mm+ 1 1/8" straight steerer, thru axle, axle-to-crown around 500mm).

Back