2011 Classic Bike Show - and Percy Stallard

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
It will soon be time for the annual bike-fest that is the Bygone Bykes Classic Display held in Shelf between Halifax and Bradford. This year it is on Sunday 17 April and the poster scan below shows details.

Every year there is a 'theme' and this year it is 'The British League of Racing Cyclists' which was formed in 1942 as very much a 'Rebel' body, to promote the sport of 'Massed Start' bunch road racing in the UK which was very much frowned upon at the time by the two other governing bodies, the National Cyclists Union and the Road Time Trials Council. The BLRC became very successful but eventually, in 1958, they amalgamated with the NCU to form the British Cycling Federation much to the dismay of the more hard-core members of the BLRC - but that's another story altogether!

The 'Founding Father' of the BLRC was Percy Stallard, a very good rider in his youth (and as a Vet!) who owned a shop and frame business in Wolverhampton. He promoted the first race, Llangollen-Wolverhampton in 1942 which was won by Albert Price, also of Wolverhampton. As a point of interest, the second placed rider by the name of Anslow, rode an 85" FIXED wheel!

To celebrate this event, the organiser of the Classic Show would like memorabilia of the BLRC, bikes of the period and also, if at all possible - a P J Stallard complete bike of the time. Do you have one or know of one?

Other Classic Bikes from '58 onwards will also be made very welcome as well!

PM me for more info - or if you can source a P J Stallard bike.

Attachments

• 2011ClassicShow.A.jpg
    2011ClassicShow.A.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,145
There's an old lad who rides a Stallard around Urmston in Greater Manchester - effectively as his shopping bike now. I've asked the question and given him my telephone number but no luck yet!

Goldie":88d8tgcb said:
There's an old lad who rides a Stallard around Urmston in Greater Manchester - effectively as his shopping bike now. I've asked the question and given him my telephone number but no luck yet!

Thanks for that. If you can get it, will you be bringing it over for the day?

Does it have period fittings etc. and is it a pre-58 one?

Still looking for a period P J Stallard bike.

Rest of the show coming on well with old team jerseys from the 50's, BLRC booklets, race programmes, possibly an early 50's BSA team bike - and riders from the day as well!

As usual, should be a Grand Day Out :D

Back