For Sale 2003 Klein Quantum ProCarbon - 105 around 50cm sizing - immaculate

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am upset about this bike. I love it, it has been cherished for years, and I just don't ride road any more. Ever.

Extraordinarily beautiful green-purple metal flake fade. Purple when viewed from one direction. Blue from another and green from another. Aluminium main triangle, carbon stays and fork. This bike has astonishing handling. It just leaps forward with every pedalstroke yet is more comfortable than any bike I have ever ridden. It corners on rails; and in its time it picked up a legendary reputation for its handling. I relished turning up to meets on a premium pedigree road bike with a mountain bike heritage.

Sizing is the usual ambiguous sloping top tube sizing.
50cms to top of seat tube.
54cms measured horizontally.
I’m 170cm tall - my son is 174cm.
We both fit well.
Original Bontrager seat post, saddle, bars.
95 mm ITM flip flop stem.
Original Shimano 16 spoke 105 wheel set.
105 black chainset.
9 speed 105 cassette.
Original BB perfect. Original headset perfect.
Never ridden in rain or winter.

I seriously have treated this more as art than a bike. It is ready to jump on and ride.

Two things to mention. A missing small plastic 105 logo cover on the LH lever. And holding tape on the bar tape could do with tidying up - all bar tape is good, but holding tape is a bit naff. Other than that - perfect. Absolutely no dings or dents. Original group set with just a few hundred miles on it from new.

price is 750gbp

Would refer collection from East Anglia but can discuss.
Thanks
PM or texts to 0770 250 5256.

Attachments

• C4CE6735-5DC2-4233-87BE-360E263D2A05.jpeg
    C4CE6735-5DC2-4233-87BE-360E263D2A05.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 178
  • AAAB1185-274F-4DBE-8B78-26824CB26043.jpeg
    AAAB1185-274F-4DBE-8B78-26824CB26043.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 00A63383-220C-476F-B215-EB6D2992DEE2.jpeg
    00A63383-220C-476F-B215-EB6D2992DEE2.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 99
  • B3A1B2A0-92F8-4D24-B63C-FD0FF3BF84AE.jpeg
    B3A1B2A0-92F8-4D24-B63C-FD0FF3BF84AE.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 97
  • E7B6AD7D-D98D-486F-A208-51B5DE131377.jpeg
    E7B6AD7D-D98D-486F-A208-51B5DE131377.jpeg
    781.9 KB · Views: 91
  • D297CEBF-F704-4E5B-9263-567935C30D17.jpeg
    D297CEBF-F704-4E5B-9263-567935C30D17.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Goodness no comments or anything….
I based the price on others on t’web….
Tell me what it’s worth in this weird world

Last edited:
I cycle 30Km to and fro work every day (except when ferrying kids) and I do that on a great local network of cyclpaths; only about 4km is on roads and those are very quiet urban roads. That's great, but it's a computing route, not a relaxing ride. But....Around here, to go on a proper road ride of 50-80km, if you go out in the morning you are on very fast roads and the cars are going VERY fast - and then almost all of the main roads have long bends on them, with high hedgerows. This means that cars come up behind me and seriously misjudge their speed and mine. More than once I have almost been hit from behind. It's particularly bad if a car is coming in the opposite direction. Then the country roads are really nice, but narrow. Again, I have been forced off the road by people misjudging oncoming cars. Finally, there is very bad attitude, worse since COVID. My son and I were out on a quiet road and - as we are entitled in law to do - riding two abreast. There was plenty of room for a car to pass. Yet a driver rolled down their window to shout at us, and forced us over against the side of the road. Mental. There were no other cars in the vicinity. If I go out in the early morning, the speed of the cars is an issue (and once a drunk driver from the night before took part of the group out), and if I go out later in the day, traffic density is an issue. Oh....and I have had the 'scream past and then brake hard to turn left into my path' drivers. So...I really look forward to off road rides. I dread going on the road....

Oh. I hear ya.

I have pretty much the same situation here in OZ (minus the hedgerows).

I live in a rural country area and the only roads are major ones. Well, they're not freeways, but mostly one lane in each direction and they have a 100km/hr limit and poor condition shoulders (or practically none). Of course everyone travels at the maximum speed. I particularly know what you are talking about when there are oncoming cars too. Drivers are supposed to slow down if they can't give you more room (but they don't; they almost never do).

I myself have not resumed riding my road bikes (mostly because I'm still a bit too fat).

Most of my rides now are on a rigid mtb set up with slicks and fast gearing.

Still, I'm not going to sell them. I refuse to. Sometimes situations change.

I lived in Spain for eight years. I miss how drivers were there...

Bike is effectively priceless. Bike of this vintage were already very good. Well, good bikes have already been very good for 30-40 years. So what makes them different to any modern bike?
A museum piece.

This is a difficult one.

If you want things to sell (be that anything, not necessarily this), it usually means lowering the price until it tempts someone into buying it.
You are probably like me and price things on the high side (especially if it is a reluctant sale). Because you almost don't want it to sell.

You're probably afraid you might later regret the decision. Which is normal.
(I actually regret very few sales I've made)

The question is, do you want to sell it, or not? Yes that is a bit of a black & white thing.
Obviously you are considering it otherwise it would not be listed here. Right?
The things we truly want to keep we tend not to even question.

It's true there is not much point in keeping things that you do not use any longer.
Perhaps this bike has had its time with you? Hopefully not for the wrong reasons.
I was once told buy an wise old Spanish woman: "life is... stages".

As for the asking price, yes the frame is good... but it has 105.
Nothing at all wrong with 105, but resale value is less.
My opinion is that if it had ultegra it probably/possibly would have already sold for that price...

As is, I think it would sell for £1000 say.
If you want it to sell, perhaps try lowering it a bit, little by little? £25-50 less each time.

But I am really curious. What would you do with the money you get from it?🤔
Or is it a space issue?

If it's your dream bike (and I suspect this one is yours, I can tell, LOL) I probably wouldn't sell, no. But that's me.
I would try to get over my phobia instead.
Perhaps consider therapy? I say that in all seriousness. I have (and it helped, to a certain extent).

Main road around my place is similar. You have to use that to get anywhere. Super busy 100km/hr zone, terrible quality shoulders or break down lanes. They are not "cycle lanes" at all as they often disappear completely. It's basically a major highway. My road bikes are sitting here practically unused too. But much (some) of that is (or was) a fitness issue. I definitely intend to get back on mine one day. Wouldn't even dream of selling them, no way, never. Not happening.

I'd consider a super bright daytime rear light (or three) and a garmin varia radar if I were you.😉
Don't let other people dictate where and when you ride. It is your choice (to a certain extent).

Was the last time on this bike when you went out with your son? Was that incident "the final straw" so to speak?
If it was, sounds to me like you're more afraid of riding on road again than selling. Which is not right.
So you're giving up?😟
Usually we cyclists sell due to upgrades, improving fit & comfort issues, or getting bored with something. Isn't it?

Our situation can change. You might move house one day somewhere quieter or cycle with a riding buddy or in a group.
Or you might take this bike and drive (or fly) to a different starting point. Who knows?!

If I lived in England I'd probably go to Mallorca or Tenerife for cycling trips (I used to live on Tenerife, cars are loads more friendly there in Europe).

Last edited:
Back