2002 Giant AC-1 shock replacement

denboy72

Retro Newbie
Hi,
Am looking to replace the rear shock (rock shox pro deluxe 190x40 I think) on my 2002 Giant AC-1, any recommendations? Would also be interested in used parts as well thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_153138.jpg
    IMG_20201219_153138.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi, I have a Giant AC Team which I've changed the shock to a Rock Shox Monarch 191mm x 51mm air spring and it works super smooth and lighter than the original coil shock too. Depending on which model they are very adjustable for air pressure and compression and rebound damping. I got lucky and found a barely use one for £80 but they are fairly pricey new. You could always just get the original shock serviced if it doesn't feel as good as it should as they are great when working properly.

Hi, I have a Giant AC Team which I've changed the shock to a Rock Shox Monarch 191mm x 51mm air spring and it works super smooth and lighter than the original coil shock too. Depending on which model they are very adjustable for air pressure and compression and rebound damping. I got lucky and found a barely use one for £80 but they are fairly pricey new. You could always just get the original shock serviced if it doesn't feel as good as it should as they are great when working properly.
Funnily enough, I was looking at these very shocks! Since my AC-1 has adjustable rear travel, I would think fitting a shock with a longer stroke *should* be OK.
Found this on ebay, look OK?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That shock will not fit as it doesn’t have the eyelet for a bushing because it’s made for a Specialized something-or-another!!
Also could you post a picture of the chainstays from underneath your frame? I have the same frame and one of the stays seems more bent in than the other. Thanks

That shock will not fit as it doesn’t have the eyelet for a bushing because it’s made for a Specialized something-or-another!!
Also could you post a picture of the chainstays from underneath your frame? I have the same frame and one of the stays seems more bent in than the other. Thanks
Well spotted on the mount points, I hadn't actually looked at the details of it at the time of posting. I can get pics of my frame when I get home from work later today. The search continues then!

Flipped the bike upside down and took the back wheel off, here's your chainstay pic, let me know if you need any more 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_160640.jpg
    IMG_20210531_160640.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 11
The standard shock length and stroke is listed as 191mm x 51mm so no different if you change to a different shock with the same figures. The rear stays on some of the A.C. frames were asymmetrical and others had similar straight stays. They are prone to cracking through age and use around the welds on the strengthening stay between the chainstays. Look carefully and check over when clean and dry to make sure if it's cracked or not. Mine has a small crack but been keeping an eye on it and I don't ride it hard these days but I'm intending on getting the frame welded and strengthened soon before it gets worse.

The standard shock length and stroke is listed as 191mm x 51mm so no different if you change to a different shock with the same figures. The rear stays on some of the A.C. frames were asymmetrical and others had similar straight stays. They are prone to cracking through age and use around the welds on the strengthening stay between the chainstays. Look carefully and check over when clean and dry to make sure if it's cracked or not. Mine has a small crack but been keeping an eye on it and I don't ride it hard these days but I'm intending on getting the frame welded and strengthened soon before it gets worse.
Thanks for the advice. I do plan to strip the bike one day and bead blast the frame when I do if I find any cracks or anything suspect I'll weld them up, reblast then paint it. Thanks 👍

Back