2001 Rock Lobster 853 new makeover & ride report page 3.

Re: "Dun dun dun dada dada da da" FINISHED! Rock Lobster 853!

mattiamerca":1a9filp8 said:
really good bike!
I love steel frame, and this, with wishbone and those simple Ritchey dropouts it's beautiful!!!

Thanks mate :D

Re: Re:

makster":rbt56qc3 said:
wookiee":rbt56qc3 said:
makster":rbt56qc3 said:

Not fit enough!

Rubbish.
Try it mate. It'll push you to the point where you'll change all your modern stuff to a single front ring.
It'll save you money too :D

Maybe if I just use a 26 front ring! Gone for a 38/26 set up on the XT my XTR is 40/28 and harder work!

wookiee":32f3kytc said:
Right so the Lobster is getting a makeover...due to the recent windfall from CRC it is now about to be kitted out in a full 2X10 XT setup:

- M785 Double crankest
- M771 11-36 cassette
- M786 10 speed + rear mech
- M786 2 speed front mech
- HG95 XT chain
- M770 BB
- M780 Shifters

Should be a sweet set up if the SC is anything to go by!

Doug
All this for £200?
Tempted to do the same on mygenesis if so!

Just bought my first road bike a few months back and love having double chainset thinking that's the way to go on my mtb

superstu":sn9bs4ru said:
wookiee":sn9bs4ru said:
Right so the Lobster is getting a makeover...due to the recent windfall from CRC it is now about to be kitted out in a full 2X10 XT setup:

- M785 Double crankest
- M771 11-36 cassette
- M786 10 speed + rear mech
- M786 2 speed front mech
- HG95 XT chain
- M770 BB
- M780 Shifters

Should be a sweet set up if the SC is anything to go by!

Doug
All this for £200?
Tempted to do the same on mygenesis if so!

Just bought my first road bike a few months back and love having double chainset thinking that's the way to go on my mtb

...was nearer £300 but I had £250 of vouchers so thought well whats £50 for that kit!

Re:

...There is no sweeter delivery! A box full of goodies upon my return from work...and the best part? Most of it was paid for with the vouchers! Now I just need to find the time to treat the Lobster before taking it to Bonty 24/12...

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 546
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 546

Sorry for constantly liking things on this thread, but have to say this extra cranks are veeeeery nice

superstu":op0i3cw2 said:
Sorry for constantly liking things on this thread, but have to say this extra cranks are veeeeery nice

Great minds think alike and like alike!

Re:

Right so managed to find the time to fit all the new bits to the Lobster...I know its modern but I love it! Now to just try the ride out, hoping to go out tonight if it ever cools off a bit! :D

Oh and I decided that the rim decals were a bit OTT so they have come off too!

Attachments

• BeFunky_p1070840.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_p1070840.jpg.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 518
  • BeFunky_p1070839.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_p1070839.jpg.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 518
  • BeFunky_p1070838.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_p1070838.jpg.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 518
  • BeFunky_p1070836.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_p1070836.jpg.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 518
  • BeFunky_p1070834.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_p1070834.jpg.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 518
Re:

Ok a ride report...went out tonight on my usual 10 mile-ish offroad trails. Didn't break any records but it was a test flight so's to speak! The position still really suits me very similar to my SC which I love...upright enough to be kind to my dodgy back and wrists, without being "sit up and beg"! So there is no change there from the original build...but thats where the similarity ends with its first incarnation and how it stands today. I have to again thank the Shimano gods for delivering what is the best components that can be bolted to a frame*

It just works! Firstly the Deore brakes are excellent every bit as good as my XTR M985 to be honest for a quarter of the cost!* I cannot praise these brakes enough outstanding for £75 front and rear calipers and levers fully bled ready to bolt on! The Shimano + range of rear mechs are superb...I can only vouch for the XT and XTR but the feature is the same across the range and that too works as well as its claim! It makes for a pleasing quiet ride other than that of the ground you are covering...perfect! The shifting is light yet positive and the levers have a bunch of good features. 2 way release, skip down 2 at a time and up 3, then there is the switchable front shifter between 2 and 3 rings*. Everything felt silky and smooth when shifting even under load, (although I have never been a grinder of gears during a change...more offering it up to the chain rings, and waiting for it to catch! Although this is over the top caution on my behalf!)

The next question for me is the gear ratio's. I am used to 40/28 upfront on the SC on the Lobster I have 38/26...could I go singlespeed? Possibly but not with a 38 ring only! I think if I had maybe around a 34 I might be able to do it with the 11-36 rear cassette. But this is still supposed to be the winter mud bike but that may change who knows! In conclusion a really pleasing project that is just close enough to the ride of the SC to be a contender...but I still prefer the 29" wheel!

Doug

* This opinion is solely that of Wookiee not the retro bike site or any of its members!

Back