1x10

My_Teenage_Self":7ozkpx5m said:
tintin40":7ozkpx5m said:
Went out and used only the 32. What a blast. So will go 10 x 1. Have to buy new chainring bolts and shorten the chain.

Treat yourself to one of these; https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works ... -270-p.asp

(assuming your cranks are 104..?)

Yes 104 bcd. Waiting for a wide/thin from Merlin cycles. turning into a winter project :D Have the Sanderson to change as well.

1x10 is dead anyway

4x13 is the way

800px-Crankset_with_4_chainrings.jpg

When out riding with 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 riders, its noisy!

Whereas I tend to sit in the big ring (usually 46 or 44t, sometimes 48t) these guys (and girls) clatter up and down, up and down the cassette whereas I still seem to sit in just a few favoured ratios.

At the moment, a 1x system just wouldnt do me any good but thats not to say it will never change.

On my road bike, I use a 30 - 11t with a 53t front end. I had a 50t 'compact' and it was too bloody small! But then its flat around here and the one hill that has a nasty step in it can be tackled with a stomp and a 30t/ 53t combo on those non headwind days.

So, I can see why but its not for me, off-road around the Peaks and Moors its never been an issue

Yet.

Re:

When out riding with 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 riders, its noisy!

Whereas I tend to sit in the big ring (usually 46 or 44t, sometimes 48t) these guys (and girls) clatter up and down, up and down the cassette whereas I still seem to sit in just a few favoured ratios.

An interesting point. Way back when, before it was decided we needed lots and lots of gears, we all made sure we had the right ratios by buying a block and 6 sprockets of the sizes we wanted. Once you get to 21-24-27 gears it becomes academic as some of them will be right most of the time.

Going back to 10-11-12 gears maybe means thinking about it again....and that means thinking about the middle and not just the extremes to make sure you have the sweet spot/go to gears. Which inevitably means a compromises. Sadly doing this is a bit harder now sprockets come as a package/cassette, I can't see a return to shops having boards of individual sprockets happening!

(Feeling old now! :( )

You pay your money and take your choice.....carry around all the gears you might need and the means of changing them.....or don't and deal with the compromises instead.

(Feeling a bit Zen now! :) )

Back