1998 Specialized FSR Ground control assistance

MikeGM

Retro Newbie
Hello!

I bought a old vintage 1998 Specialized FSR in great condition for its age. Even if it is in great condition, i want to replace some parts, and i have a rough time picking the right ones.

It has a very short handlebar, its 550mm and i want to replace it with something longer, like 680-720mm. It probably needs a new stem then aswell. The current stem is 130 mm long from, measured from the screw to the frontside. The current handlebar is flat, but the stem has a angle upwards. so iam not sure if i should go for a flat stem and a riser bar or a rising stem with flat bars?

I don't want to sped to much € on it, but a stem around €30-€40 is ok and handlebars around €40,- aswell.

If i replace the bars, i also want to replace the current old grip shifters. I believe its the original SRT-600 SRAM gripshifters that are on it still, i want to replace them with rapid fire shifters. It has 3x8 cogs on it. and the original Shimano deore lx derailleur at the back.

Things like new V-brakes i can manage.

In the end i might want to replace the derailleur, crankset, cassete and chain aswell. But thats for future plans.

Would be awesome if you guys could suggest some things, keep in mind iam a MTB newby, all these pro words and abbreviations might be confusing for me =)

Pictures here on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/u9FwbSY

Edit: I also want to service the front suspension aswell! Does any1 has a guide, like a video on youtube which i can follow for this. I've found some video's but iam not sure if it is thesame kind of fork. (yes iam very noob but i want to learn!)

Re:

Hello & welcome to the forum, that's a tidy looking FSR :cool:
I have a 1999 & have riser bars fitted with the standard stem, works okay for me (you can find a link to mine in my signature).
Have a search around the forum there is tonnes of information & loads of build threads for inspiration.
Parts are also quite easy to source here too!

Re:

Thanks for the welcome,

I'm already browsing the forum like a madman, learning alot here.

I have 1 question already haha, I see 2 different kinds of endcaps/ferrules. When do i need to use UNsealed or sealed endcaps/ferrules for brake/shift housings?

Back