1998 GT STS-1000 / DS

We've got a White industries 3 bolt disc front hub nos iirc, might have the chainset and that front derailleur too - what's the rear hub?
Hey, nice to hear from you!

Yes, I'd be interested in any parts - that are in great shape - that will work on this bike!

I'm not sure what the rear hub is? I'm still in the process of trying to figure out all the specs on this bike, which is why I initiated this thread.

Cheers!

Maybe you need the matching white industries hub for the rear, although it's in used condition??
Photo of teatime at bikeworkshop🫖 20240328_172922.jpg

Maybe you need the matching white industries hub for the rear, although it's in used condition??
Photo of teatime at bikeworkshop🫖View attachment 834202

Possibly! However, I don't know if that will work/be compatible? Per this thread, I'm trying to figure out all the parts which are required and will fit on this bike.

I'm anticipating most of the parts will be used, per their age.

I do want to find XTR front and rear derailers, ...from what others have mentioned, the XTR M950 and/or M952.

Cheers

Your rear stay may have the bolts for a rear disc adapter. I've had a couple of sts builds and have seen some running an adapter on the rear for is standard disc brakes, which makes life a bit easier as you can run 'normal' disc brakes front and rear, and 6 bolt standard hubs. though if you are looking to go full catalogue, maybe not for you.

M950 is 8 speed, m952 9 speed and cosmetically very similar if you go xtr rather than xt.

Your rear stay may have the bolts for a rear disc adapter. I've had a couple of sts builds and have seen some running an adapter on the rear for is standard disc brakes, which makes life a bit easier as you can run 'normal' disc brakes front and rear, and 6 bolt standard hubs. though if you are looking to go full catalogue, maybe not for you.

M950 is 8 speed, m952 9 speed and cosmetically very similar if you go xtr rather than xt.
Thanks for the response and details!

Not sure about the rear stay on the frame, ...I'm a 'newbie' to all the bike parts, etc. :) I'm not concerned about keeping the bike 'catalogue', especially if it means improving the bike and/or simplifying the build.

Photos of bike frame: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sJgRM12ydyTJ1wSJ6

Cheers
--

Looks like your rear stay has the is standard brake adapter so that opens up options. It will match the one on the front forks making it much easier to get a set of brakes to suit the build.

If you wanted to improve it, BETD make bearing kits to replace the bushings. These make the suspension action way smoother and creak free.

Looks like your rear stay has the is standard brake adapter so that opens up options. It will match the one on the front forks making it much easier to get a set of brakes to suit the build.

If you wanted to improve it, BETD make bearing kits to replace the bushings. These make the suspension action way smoother and creak free.
Awesome - thanks for the details!

Due to the angled seat tube, you'll probably find you will need to cut down a seat post, or at least cut an angle into one of your post is longer than the angle will allow to fit at the height you want. The og post was short and angled. You won't want to run a dropper as the drop will move your saddle forward.

The shock is the Achilles heel, you can't easily replace it as it's a trunnion.

There are options.

Risse. Spendy and US based so shipping and tax makes it more so.

I did have a fox trunnion on one of mine. Designed for the job so fits if you can find one.

Another option is a fox or manitou from a Cannondale Jekyll. Needs the trunnion modifying (shaving a few mms) and customising of the trunnion bolts to fit the travel chips, but it can be done and you get a much better shock than the stock rs.

There are modern trunnion shocks which may fit, but I can't say if any will.

I built mine up using m972 xtr and it looked awesome and was a nice ride, but too much bike for my riding skills

A set of spin wheels look amazing on these frames.

Back