1997 Giant ATX 970 -- Done -- ( 3/9/2014 ) -- !!

Re: New Project 1997 Giant ATX 970 -- DONE -- ( 3/9/2014 ) -

:D are you not sticking with them front forks think they look the bollox mate , can't you find a crown steer for them forks as it is a total match :D bet you were glad to get it almost finished :cool:

Re: New Project 1997 Giant ATX 970 -- DONE -- ( 3/9/2014 ) -

racer x":3w3r523w said:
:D are you not sticking with them front forks think they look the bollox mate , can't you find a crown steer for them forks as it is a total match :D bet you were glad to get it almost finished :cool:

Well I have a spare set of SID's that will be coming off my Litespeed soon when I upgrade the fork on that bike to a Magura TS8. I was planning on just taking the SID's and putting them on this giant and although they wont match nearly as nicely as these Judy XC's they are far better performing with actual damping. The XC dampers are shot so there are just some springs in the lowers and they are a little bit bouncy for my tastes.

20140311_090347_zpskkvww6px.jpg

Thew on some Red Specialized UmmaGumma, I think I like the look. Goes well with the red bits on the frame. And yes shame on me I have ridden the bike with that single judy XL crown. Just ridden to work its all street riding. Im currently looking for a Judy steerer/crown that has at least 7.5" steerer.

I just recently found an older 2003 FOX Float RLC 6.75" x 1.5 rear air shock. I will be replacing the RST 22A rear coil with this air shock. I will let you all know how that goes. It will save a lot of weight and now Ill have a lot of adjustment at the rear. The stroke is higher than the RST but I checked and it looks like the rear can take the extra travel with no issues there is plenty of clearance.

Re:

Awesome to see this, I did an upgrade to a 1999 ATX 970. Fitted it with Rock Shox Dart 3s, disc brakes front and rear (also required new rims etc). Have just put DMR Wingbar handlebars and a stubbier stem onto it and bought it a new pair of shoes in the form of a pair of Continental Diesel 2.5s. I had toyed with the idea of getting a modern frame as this is an old frame by todays standards but the bike performs so well and the geometry just fits me. :D

i imagine it came new with a single crown fork , I bought a new ATX 990 in 97 and that's all it had (and still have it for visitors) it had 8speed gripshifters XT parts and a noleen rear shock

Attachments

• giant 1.jpg
    giant 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 975
Here's my little ATX 970 budget-ish project. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 966