1997 Bontrager Privateer S Utter shed project bike!

A weekend with Nitromors and some wire wool will leave you happy or sad. Happy hopefully. Odd that it's in such a state as it has some decent components on it.

Well. A few days of sawing and the seat post is out. Who would have thought a dry wall saw was perfect for an ally post. :D

Sawed in off about 1" above the seat tube. Cut a pair of grooves front and back and peeled the post sections out with mole grips and a chisel. :roll:

Yep, you can get metal-specific blades for some of them too. At least the post wasn't an expensive one, so you haven't lost much. It's that hub that's the saddest thing so far.

Although you've got a lot of paint missing, I actually like the look of your brown steel. Very even, no sign of anything beyond surface in those pictures and all seemingly caused by external factors rather than internal (he said with fingers crossed ;) )

I'd be surprised if you can't dislodge the fork by holding the top tube in one hand and bashing the steerer with a hammer with the other hand. They can sometimes be quite well stuck in place, but never a lost cause. Then you'll have the task of finding a suitable fork with a 1" steerer. Has to be Rockshox I guess, but it deserves something a lot better than its original Indy XC. You will occasionally find 97/98 RS with 1" steerers, but they aren't exactly plentiful.

The guy I bought it from said he was selling it for his brother who was abroad. I bet his bro went away and he (ab)used it going to the chip shop, etc and left it outside, etc. ;)

There's a sticker on the seat tube saying it was from Hardcore Bikes in Edmonton Canada. I've got in touch and they say they'll send me a new one. :)

Forks wise it'll probably have rigid ones. Certainly not 130mm Zokes! :roll:

Colour wise, as OEM is out the window I think I'll have dark blue up front and gulf blue at the rear with a White/silver set of decals from Gil. Assuming that once the paint is off it's not scrap.

I saw ;)

Just a little project idea I had..

My question still stands. ;)

I also have a hubless Spinergy Rev X I'm making something out of. :oops: :LOL:

Oh. Anyone able to enlighten me about the seat post size? No chance of reading the size of the remains. My callipers aren't good enough to tell me the difference between 27.0 & 27.2!

Back