1996 Univega Alpina 506

I've got an Green Univega 506 just like that! Had mine from new as well. Mine's in slightly worse condition having done several thousand miles. It was my main commuting bike for many years, and is fitted with rack & slick tyres for touring.

I also bought my daughter the STX equiped Univega 502, as the dealer had it at half price as a 'last years model'

univega.jpg

I've since bought a 504 frame & forks (£16 on ebay) and built it up. I used it on the Retrobike Thetford ride last week

Have you weighed it yet?
Keep meaning to weigh mine but never get round to it, seems very light though even with the Stx group on mine.

chrisv40":2aprucde said:
Lovely looking bike mate, i have an Univega Alpina 5.5 myself and love it :D
Has yours got the clip on the fork dropouts to stop the wheel falling out if your skewer comes undone?
Never understood the extra cage bosses under the downtube though, the bottle would always be covered in crap ;)

Thanks!

Yes its got the clip lol bit of a pain sometimes. but less so now that i`ve got the twisters!

I find the exra bottle holder a little over the top too and have the same view about it getting covered in crap.

Imagine riding thru a cow pat and then taking a swig from the bottom bottle! errrgh!

Wobbly John":2aprucde said:
I've got an Green Univega 506 just like that! Had mine from new as well. Mine's in slightly worse condition having done several thousand miles. It was my main commuting bike for many years, and is fitted with rack & slick tyres for touring.

I also bought my daughter the STX equiped Univega 502, as the dealer had it at half price as a 'last years model'

I first had the Alpina 501 alvio/stx equipped in Ti colour and 17", Loved that bike!

Bought a set of Balistic shocks when I was in Majorca and then it got nicked from outside a shop a few weeks later :evil:

Tony....

Mmmm, you cant beat purple USE :cool:

I like Univegas a lot, there should be more on here. An old Pro-Circuit team mate of mine was poached to ride semi-pro for them BITD.......dont know what came of it after I left.

Nice one.

tony gti-r":s4ehl1cr said:
I find the exra bottle holder a little over the top too and have the same view about it getting covered in crap.

Imagine riding thru a cow pat and then taking a swig from the bottom bottle! errrgh!

The third bottlecage is one of the reasons I bought mine - I wanted to tour on it and the third bottlecage holds the meths bottle for the stove.

tony gti-r":13ysvco7 said:
Bought a set of Balistic shocks when I was in Majorca and then it got nicked from outside a shop a few weeks later :evil:

Tony....

I had a set of carbon Balistics on the 506 for a while...

...but they seized up. :evil:

Re:

This is my Univega alpina 506 that i purchase in 1996 at the first Birmingham NEC bike show.At the time we used to sell Reece cycles, that were owned by Teddy Reece who also had the UK distributorship for univega cycles. It cost £720 (Trade price, believe £1400 was retail price at time) if purchase on day of the show a £30 saving and all components are original including tyres, tubes chain and grips.

Attachments

• IMG-20160307-alpina7.jpg
    IMG-20160307-alpina7.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 673
Back