1996 Deore LX SL-M569 better or worse than a modern Altus SL-M315?

Wandering_Lark

Dirt Disciple
Hi I'm looking to move away from gripfting to trigger shifters (or maybe thumbies but thats not what this is about)
my 1995 Rockhopper is 3 x 7 speeds - shimano
Is a 1996 Deore LX SL-M569 (8-speeds) going to work better or worse than a modern Altus SL-M315 (might also get 8-speeds so I can update later)? Id run it with a ghost gear at one end of the range.
Thanks
Oliver

Altus is never worth messing with in my mind, 7 or 8 spd rapidfire is cheap and plentiful enough to make buying good used and wandering if it will ever break would be my suggested path.. what kit does the rest of the bike have now?
Ive stx 7 spd rapidfire on one well used bike, going fine no issues after over 20 years.. yes the xt on another bike is smoother etc but really if youve gripshift you dont like now, any mid to late nineties rapidfire, stx or above will be great and inexpensive.
I think I paid £40 for my mint xt, and I think it was £20 posted for some shiny metal look lx 8 spd.. these were both less than 12months ago.
So if you look at stx or stx rc if thats not in your budget cant go wrong really. Especially if you buy them on here as people are great and honest in my experience. A quick google suggests the 1996 Deore lx are the shiny ones, I would imagine them to be fitting, and rather better made than new modern low end Altus... Happy hunting.
P.s ive not had gripshift for years i swapped out low end gripshift for those stx rapidfire bought secondhand over 20 years ago.. didnt take to it at all, seems like a logical upgrade to me therefore.

Thanks - I think I followed that. SLX were like the lowest Dore group? I guess the name/quality relationship shifts around a bit?

I like that the SL-M315's can shift down 3 gears in one action - anyone know if the Deore LX could do that?
Thanks

I'm currently slowly changing things piece by piece from the stock Alivio set up with original grip shifts. Probably towards eventually a 1x9 setup as its mainly a commuter - but I have a small budget so going bit by bit (I.e dont yet want to have to change wheels and dreaileur so I can get an 8/9speed on the hub - especially as I want to change the crankset out because of the recall on the one I have).

Grant Pederson is a big Altus rear mech fan, but he runs them friction. If you run friction shifters you don't have to worry about a ghost gear and can run up to 10 speed in the rear.

Both the modern Altus and the LX M56x have the potential to shift very well: a lot of the feel and performance depends on good cable routing, clean cables, the quality and maintenance of the derailleurs, etc. In other words, and pretty obviously, the rest of the drivetrain affects the performance of the shifters.

However, although you might get the shifting to work using eight speed shifters with a seven speed cassette, it's not going to get the best out of either of those shifters because seven speed cassettes have a 5mm space between sprockets whereas eight speed cassettes have a 4.8mm space. That means that if you set the derailleur to be spot on for the smallest sprocket, it would be 1.2mm out by the time you've shifted up to the largest sprocket on a seven speed cassette when using an eight speed shifter. Obviously, the sensible thing to do would be to get the derailleur spot on in the middle sprocket on the seven speed cassette and then it will be less than 1mm out at the two extremes. Nevertheless, you're not going to get the best out of either shifter.

If you really want a 1 x 9 set up, I would collect compatible parts one at a time and then make a complete switch to that set up when you have all you need. Just don't bother with intermediate bodges.

Last, why anyone would want to switch from the elegant simplicity of Gripshift to trigger shifters is beyond me! 🤷‍♂️ But that's a debate that's been had elsewhere.

As above, don't do the swa to 1x9 bit by bit, you'll end up with compatibility issues. What sort of budget and spec are you looking to end up with? I and many others on here will undoubtedly have parts at decent prices to get you where you want to be.

One thing to watch out for is that some rear freehubs are designed for up to 7speed cassettes. They won't take 8 or 9, or even 10 if you wanted to go that far. What rear hub do you have?

If I were going 1x9 or 10, I'd be looking for a rear mech, shifter and cassette plus a narrow wide front chain ring, as well as a chain.

It would be rude not to change cable inners and liters while at it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the responses here.
I think I've muddied the conversation here by mentioning a possible future plan for 1x9 but the reason I'm going to do it bit by bit is because I want to try things and learn. learn how to do things, how things work together and what i like. I also dislike the current set up so I want to do what I can as soon as possible. Eventually I'll get all the bits I like at one time and do a proper change over but I want to learn and test things between now and then. Currently my budget doesn't cover changing the wheel/ hub so I'm stuck with 7 speeds.

But really I'm just asking if the LX will feel better or worse than the altus given everything else is the same and can it shift down three gears in one like the Altus can.
Thanks

But I do apreciate the suggestions and questions.
I want to change the crankset asap because I have one of the recalled shimano ones and I'd rather feel more secure in it.

Back