1996 Alpinestars RSA 940 - Jake Watson Rebuild

Re:

Here are the first four pictures of the bike build. . .

Thanks everyone!

Josh

Attachments

• 1, 1996 Alpinestars, frame.jpg
    1, 1996 Alpinestars, frame.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 2, 1996 Alpinestars, Headset.jpg
    2, 1996 Alpinestars, Headset.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 599
  • 3, 1996 Alpinestars, Rear Linkage, Seat Post.jpg
    3, 1996 Alpinestars, Rear Linkage, Seat Post.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 4, 1996 Alpinestars, Cranks, Fork, Stem.jpg
    4, 1996 Alpinestars, Cranks, Fork, Stem.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 599
I wonder if Autosol is available here in the states. I need something to polish up my Manitou.

On another note I noticed on the work bench the Moho and what appears to be a Manitou FS rear end?

the MoHo was Jake's cross country bike when he passed. It has a crack in the head tube so we replaced the frame. The manitou forks on the bench have been my nightmare project. . . the grease buildup inside is awful! I just got a suggestion last night of using rubbing alcohol. . . trying that shortly. Those will be on the next project bike I post up for all to see. The AC cranks are getting refinished as I type this and getting updated in the turquoise blue color!

looking to order the autosol now! Thank you!!! Is there a certain one I should use?

This frame looks a lot better than the condition of the 93 Marin that is next in line for the bike stand. That said, that frame looks better than the cracked 91 trimble which will follow that. All of them are Jake's actual race bikes! I will keep posting photos as I go along. . . or find Jake's facebook page

The chain guide is Adventure Components - unfortunately, it doesnt fit with a smaller ring.

On the bikes, it is an amazing story. . . the first bike was the Alpinestars and it was offered to the family from the guy who bought the complete bike from Jake back in 97. He had removed all the parts from it and now it was only a frame - half of a frame really. So that started my searching.

When I shared the cool gift of this frame on Jake's facebook page, another friend wrote me and asked that I call him. He shared that he had Jake's 93 Marin hardtail. Jake had taken some spare parts off various race bikes and use it in the bike he sold him. The bike ran but not well. Forks were gummed up. not all the parts were original or era specific. So I have been quietly getting those parts together and once I finish the Alpinestars, I will share that bikes story and rebuild process.

Then - on Jake's birthday, I got a message from a bike shop in Colorado. They had Jake's 91 Trimble. There was some discussion about it being his and how we could tell. . . the guy said he liked how I was rebuilding Jake's old bikes and that he wanted me to have this one - mostly complete. The front suspenders forks have rocks in them as the bushings all melted over the years. The frame has two cracks in it - so I am looking at getting those fixed. Once I am done with both the marin and the Alpinestars - then I will share this bikes story and rebuild.

All of these are going to be up or are on Jake's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/earthquake.j.watson

As for me, I would rather ride only his bikes than the latest and greatest. . . those are all good memories to me. Being there with him when the bikes were delivered by the sponsors and then getting to work on them with him. . . it's fun.

Back