1995 Specialized Rockhopper

Unlikelybiker

Dirt Disciple
Last weekend I was at theocal tip looking for a bike that might have some front shocks for my marin (originals are very dead) but instead I came home with a rockhopper instead for £15. It's nice. 20221120_161059.jpg I didn't need or want another bike (aside from getting one with shocks), but I couldn't not have it. The tyres were shot, the pedals were knackered and it's covered in chips, but when I took it for a ride it ride it all seemed to function well, including the brakes which are by far the most effective bike brakes I've ever known, amazingly good.
When I first got it home I was more interested in pinching bits off it for the marin, so swapped the bakes, which had already been upgraded on the rockhopper.

Marins original brakes
20221120_192353.jpg

Marin with the rockhopper brakes
20221120_194259.jpg
But the marin brakes on the rockhopper were still as good as the rockhopper was before the swap, which I now put down to the rims which are Araya's, rather than the pads. As well as the pads I also swapped the quick release skewers because the marin needed chrome ones. The black bits look better on the rockhopper too.
So after I'd stopped stealing bits off it I decided to start sorting bits on the rockhopper. The tyres were shot so I took the road tyres off my Giant hunter and put those on it. The knackered pedals were replaced with the ones on the Giant, took it for a ride and noticed a knock on the front and tightened the bearings. It really does ride perfect now so I can now start making it look nice 20221127_151006.jpg start making it look nice.

Last edited:
Last weekend I was at the local tip looking for a bike that might have some front shocks for my marin (originals are very dead) but instead I came home with a rockhopper instead for £15. It's nice.

Are you able to take bikes away from your local tip then?

In Surrey Heath it is punishable by death. Haven't been able to work out if it is H&S related or if someone has a contract with the council to hoover up anything of any value.

Are you able to take bikes away from your local tip then?

In Surrey Heath it is punishable by death. Haven't been able to work out if it is H&S related or if someone has a contract with the council to hoover up anything of any value.
Yeah all bike are available to take. They have a pile outside starting at 15, and a rack indoors of better bikes at higher prices. It's crazy seeing what people chuck away. Once the outdoor pile is full a van comes and takes the dross away. You have to be really lucky/quick to get anything decent. It was closing time when I got the rockhopper. It was in the rack but she charged me 15. I didn't ask twice

I've found that it rides more like a big bmx than a mountain bike, and feels very solid and well made, and lighter than the marin.
My next attack was the paintchips. The worst of it was from the chain. 20221127_164705.jpg
I've got plenty of humbrol model paint, so started touching them in with a brush. Colour match isn't perfect but good enough. Still needs another coat. 20221127_213906.jpg

Last edited:
My local transfer station is always full of potential projects, but if you dare touch one, a SWAT team will descend on you.

After the first coat of red I found another tin of red enamel and the match with this one was perfect. I can't see what I've painted and what I havnt. It will still need a couple of coats to cover the slightly darker red completely but it's so cold that the paint is taking days to dry so I'll leave for at least a couple weeks before a light sand and final coat. There were chips and scratches all over it but didn't get many pics before I started, but this..

20221202_230727.jpg

Now looks like this 20221203_120731.jpg and as a whole looks much fresher 20221203_120643.jpg
Next on the list are new grips and repair the saddle which has a hole in it and detailing. Something else is the brakes. Originally it would've had cantilevers but I received it with v brakes which I have since swapped with the marins v brakes, so currently looks like this 20221203_121319.jpg
But the Giant has cantilevers which I was going to put on the marin, but may be more suited to the rockhopper? V brakes are obviously easier to set and wotnot, but cantilevers look better 20221203_121349.jpg
Hmmmm🤔

Over the weekend I dug the rockhopper out to finnish it off. Most of what I'd done previously was cosmetic, I hadnt gone as far as giving the hubs a referb so that was first on the list. They were looking a little shabby so I gave them a polish and regreased them. 20230618_211231.jpg
Since getting it I havnt ridden it, mainly because its a bit on the small side, which is a shame because I really like it. Last week I picked up a mini bmx for not a lot, and it gave me the idea to try the handlebars on it. Then I fitted some white pedals my lodger had laying around.

20230618_205157.jpg
Tbh it looks alot better than I thought it would and it gives the bike a perfect riding position, quite upright but relaxed. I can't ride it because the forks are old school and the stem is new school, but it has given me the idea to do it properly and turn it into a bmx cruiser. In some way a shame because its a nice original bike, but it does only owe me £15 and at least it makes it rideable. I just hope it rides as good as it looks.

Just get a quill to Ahead adapter & off you go!
I did one very similar, the new owner loves it. Rockhopper cruz.jpeg

After looking at adapters and faffing about with different bits, I found that the original stem was actually the same diameter as the bmx stems fitting, so I hatched a plan. I could cut the original stem up and mount the bmx one to it or get another one and chop that up instead, so I visited my uncle and raided his pile of scrap. Sorted. 20230623_193409.jpg
Got the hacksaw out, grinder and a file and before long it looked like this 20230623_204547.jpg
So that's the first bit done. Going to take it apart and put some paint on it tonight so I can put it back together tomorrow. Still need to sort out what I'm doing about brake levers and gears but happy so far 20230623_210247.jpg

Back