1995 Kona Kilauea colour?

Geoff":22a3unhp said:
I'm gonna try and get some done locally. Orange Retro kindly sent me a copy of the 97 era Kil decals (which is what I want for this particular bike, even if it means I get sent to Kona hell). Cheers for the offers though people.
Be interested to see what your ones are like, Mike. Have found 94 ones on ebay before, but no 95s...
Well I have a 97 Kilauea, but I have to admit that the decals are far from pristine - but I've often wondered whether the software that Gil_M and others use enables them to correct for shortcomings in the photos that they are working from? I guess it must, not least because they're producing something flat from a photo of something round? I must say that most eBay Kona decals that I've seen look pretty poor to me, and I would think Gil_M's offerings must be far better from what everybody says.

And as far as using 97 decals on a 95 frame is concerned, I think I may need to go and have a quiet lie down to recover my composure, but I suppose it does all depend on the colour that you're going to paint it. The colours of the decals and the frames were chosen very carefully to complement one another. Just my opinion, but I don't think 97 decals would look all that good on a pearlescent white frame.

I'll show you a picture of the best production Kilauea ever - the only 97 SE I've ever seen, with Z2 forks and frame colour-coded to the Z2s. For me, the colour of the decals still works with the different (and very nice) colour of the SE frame.

Attachments

• 1997 Kilauea SE size 18.jpg
    1997 Kilauea SE size 18.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 987
I have a confession... they aren't going to be the standard 97 colour! Gonna be very similar colour to the 98 ones I've got on it at the moment. In fact if I could find a genuine set of 98s, I'd just use them!

Back