1995 Kona AA

I've got a '95 AA as well, although mine now has a polished frame.

Bought from a friend in Aber actually, when I lived there, so it's probably done a lot of the same trails as yours :LOL:

Small world eh! Sure it looks ace with a polished frame.

I've just been deciding what to do with my brake setup, wasn't happy with the way my brakes finished the trail on Sunday, and seeing how good my mates discs were performing has made me rethink things. I'm tempted to go for a front disc (keeping the rear XTR v-brake as there's obviously no disc mount).

It would mean changing quite a few things, would need to find a different fork with disc mount, preferably another '98 SID, I think some came with disc mounts? Next would be to build a new front wheel with a disc compatible silver Hope Suspension Ti hub. Got a Mavic X517 to lace it to.

And finally decide on what setup to go for. I think it's worth going for something modern here as things have improved alot. I don't however like the idea of mismatching brake levels, cable disc then (but they're s**t aren't they?). Looking on CRC, apparently not! The new Avid BB7 has had rave reviews, with many claiming it to be better than hydrolic setups due to it's simplicity and ease of setup. I believe I could use my current XTR v-brake lever with it (can't see any reason why not) and they're also half the price of a decent hydrolic disc.

I know this is slightly against the retro theme of this bike, but it was always built to be used. I'll give my v-brakes a bit more time to bed-in, see if they improve (brake pads were only changed a few rides ago). But if not, I'll be seriously considering this route.

Lovely bike

Surprised about the XTRs Vs...mine seem to be very powerful with stock pads...only problem is massive amounts of frame flex!

How about trying Maguras?....cheaper than building up new wheel & buying disks

Well, the XTR v's are great for the most part, they're easily powerful enough. For 3/4 of the 16km trail on Sunday they were great, could even get away with one finger braking if I needed. As all rim brakes suffer from though, after 14km of heavy use, with a mix of brake dust, mud and water coating the rim, they turned to s**t. I'm planning on some much longer rides in the future, after 30+km in similar conditions they would become a serious burden.

I used to run some Blue Maguras on the bike I owned years ago. Back then they were awesome, but I was never keen on the look or their bulkiness etc.

Regarding the cost, I'll be buildings a new front wheel at some point anyway. Only difference will be if I lace in a disc or non disc Hope suspension Ti hub. If my XTR lever works with the Avid BB7, then the disc and calliper costs another £50. The forks are the major cost, but the steerer on the SID's I'm running now is a tad short, so they could also do with being replaced (or can the steerer be replaced?). Sure I could sell off the stuff I have now at reasonable price, wheel ~ £20, SID's ~ £60 (need new seals) and XTR v-brake ~ £20.

New SIDs will cost ~ £80-100. New wheel ~ £20-30 for hub, £20 for spokes? New disc + calliper = £50. So It'll cost me £80-100 after selling existing kit, although the £40-50 for a new wheel will be spent no matter. New SIDs might also be a necessity.

I'll see how things go next weekend first.

I've just bagged myself another set of 1998 Rock Shox SIDs from ebay. The steerer is ~ 20mm longer than on the ones I've got which is perfect. They also have a disc mount, so the possiblity is there. Cost me £78.50 + £8 postage, not bad. Will have to have a clear-out, as I'm gathering quite a few spare parts :?.

Fitted an M953 XTR front mech tonight, another ebay purchace, think it was £16, and it looks NOS. I've also done a rough mod to the 'dog collar' cable guide on the Kona. Simply drilled out the rear side slightly to allow a cable ferrule to sit more comfortably. Was finding that the cable was moving around otherwise, causing the cable inner to snag on the aluminium of the 'dog collar' and prevented the brake from realeasing.

Does anyone know if someone manufactures a replacement part for the 'dog collar' cable guide? Something with a proper cable stop for running V's. Odd that Kona never made some themselves!

Nice.

Love the forks on there, really suit it.

So your at the Uni ;) Thats a stones throw from my office :cool: You'll have to pop down to my next Lincoln ride. Were there pics Lincoln area or your true home?

Yup, at uni in Lincoln. Cheers for the offer of going for the ride, will have to arrange something when I'm back in Lincoln.

The pics were taken at my real home, on my Dad's farm, 10miles SE of Aberystwyth, mid Wales. Mind the mess in the background of one of them :oops:.

Cheers for the thumbs up. I'll take some more pics when I've fitted the new forks & eggbeaters.

Bit of an update. It's been a while since my last ride, unfortunately an architecture course takes up 90% of time, so I've had zero time to ride! However with a long summer off, getting back on the bike is a must.

There have been a few changes to the setup. I managed to create one practically perfect set of SID's from the two set's I had (new set came with some kind of judy cartridge innards). They work superbly well, zero air leaks after more than a year! The egg beater peddals arrived, so they made a big difference.

I'm not happy with the setup though. The stem has proven just too long, couple this with very narrow bars and it's made the front end extremely twitchy, so much so, that I lost complete confidence in the bike towards the end of last summer. A mojor crash on one of the Machynlleth trails left the bike with a badly buckled back wheel and a bent brake lever. I escaped with nothing more than a few cuts, but it means I'll be looking to get the handling up to scratch before I go for another serious ride.

The back wheel has been re-built. I serviced the Hope rear hub with new bearings and free-wheel springs, and got it laced onto an x517 with double butted spokes.

The sticking rear brake has also been sorted with a problem sovers backstop.

As for the handling. I've got an old grotty blue Marin alu handlebar that I'm considering polishing-up. It's a good couple of inches wider than the ti one on the bike. That should help, but I think I've gotta consider replacing the stem. I'll post in the wanted thread to see if anyone fancies a swap.

I'll get some updated pictures up soon.

Latest posts

Back