1995 Cindercone

So i'm currently searching for a pair of rims. I thought i had a pair of 32 hole mavics, turns out they are 36....

Also in 2 minds about the frame decals. Do i spend a fortune on paint and try and re construct the missing sections (hard route)

or

rip em off and just get some new ones from Gil (easy route!)?

What do ya think?

They are.. but the laquer is peeling and taking the decal with it. It's only on the 'Kona' downtube decals. It made me wonder if they'd been replaced but the outer edges look fine.

I'm leaning toward sticking the ragged edges down so they dont go any further and leaving the patina...

You could do yes then lick a bit of laquer over it to stop it flaking further.

Another option is to buy the decals and use part of them to replace your missing parts then laquer

jinjrich":2a9mauh7 said:
So i'm currently searching for a pair of rims. I thought i had a pair of 32 hole mavics, turns out they are 36....

Also in 2 minds about the frame decals. Do i spend a fortune on paint and try and re construct the missing sections (hard route)

or

What do ya think?

Leave well alone. The repro's are just that, repro's, and the paint is nigh on impossible to match.

al-onestare":mo0kj1t4 said:
jinjrich":mo0kj1t4 said:

or

What do ya think?

Leave well alone. The repro's are just that, repro's, and the paint is nigh on impossible to match.

Yep, good call. Think i'm gonna leave it as is. I might put a bit of heli tape or similar over the ragged edges just to stop and further peelage... but then just ride the f**ker.

Can't wait. BUT I NEED RIMS :(

Found some NOS XM317's at work, not my first choice, and in black... they might have to do unless anything else pops up.

al-onestare":3mrof13x said:
jinjrich":3mrof13x said:

or

What do ya think?

This.

Currently mid resto on the same bike, it required new down tube decals as they had been completely removed by previous owner - had a nightmare getting colours right. Turned out well in the end so let me know if you need any details.

Also have a can of the Rover Kingfisher Blue for touch ups, it's a good enough match on small areas, careful prep and it blends in nicely

KeepItSteel":3els7i52 said:
al-onestare":3els7i52 said:
jinjrich":3els7i52 said:

or

What do ya think?

This.

Currently mid resto on the same bike, it required new down tube decals as they had been completely removed by previous owner - had a nightmare getting colours right. Turned out well in the end so let me know if you need any details.

Also have a can of the Rover Kingfisher Blue for touch ups, it's a good enough match on small areas, careful prep and it blends in nicely

Cheers for this.

Have you a thread on the go?

Thanks for the advice- i'd already considered kingfisher blue so i'll get can. How are you prepping stone chips/scratches? I've always painted touch up straight on to bare metal on small areas, and only prepped and primed larger repairs.

I admit, my touch ups have never looked great... :facepalm:

Haven’t got a thread for the ‘95 Cone yet, but did mention my touch up technique on this Kilauea resto thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=398728

For bare metal scratches I lightly brush in some primer, always gives better finish to the top coat of paint this way. Also, let paint sufficiently cure and carefully rub back the fresh paint and surrounding area with ultra fine wet n dry - then a light blast of clear coat seals the deal. Can look flawless if you take your time. Warm spring/summer days in the garden are best for this, the sun helps curing.

Back