1994 UNIVEGA ALPINA 5.3 - ONE DAY BIRTHDAY BUILD THRASH!

thanks guys!

I just found this picture!...it is about 1996ish...at this point the tioga's had long worn out and had been replaced by smoke and dart magics. (simliar to the XC magics I had) Also, the drivetrain and shifters were whatever could be found cheap!..still had the 737 at least!

I am looking for a pic when it had the psychos and original groupo. I know i saw one years ago..

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,351
I enjoyed reading this story at the time; quick thread resurrection to enquire what size seat post it takes?

Hi 34henry3w,
Really enjoyed this article! I am in Toronto and just bought the very same Univega (specs/colour) and am looking forward to strip and rebuild. I had never come across the manufacturer before, but just based on the frame weight (compared to my late 90's Giant Boulder SE), I can't wait to get it on the road.
I was curious about one thing - the split handlebar stem, and location of the cable to the front brake - the cable end just kinda sits between the split in the stem; is that how they were made? No hanger as such?
If you happen to see this post, thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers

hey..

univegas used two different stems that year..

on some, yes the cable sits between the stem...but if you will notice I switched the stem for a normal univega one with a separate 1'' hanger..which is how my brothers was.

Thanks for the rapid response!
Yes, I saw that change. When I picked up the bike, It just seemed a bit odd that the cable wasn't really fixed anywhere. But if that's the way those stems worked, I will stick with what I have. I appreciate the reassurance that there's nothing missing or incorrect with the original setup.

As an aside, I am planning to either swap the 42 ring for a 48, or may have to replace the crankset (there don't seem to be too many option with the STX) - don't suppose that was something you ever looked into?

All the best, Mark

Back