1994 Kuwahara Makai

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
I previously posted the 80s Kuwahara I restored for my son in this BMX section, now I’d like to share the Kuwahara I bought and restored for myself.

Right in the middle of COVID I was scrolling bikes for sale on FB with a very regular basis, I came across this early 90s freestyle version in need of lot’s work for $125.
20210131_225520695_iOS.jpg

A bit of money for a tired old BMX but I know the worth of these in my neck of the woods and I loved the fact that it states “factory Kuwahara” but mostly that it was chrome.

I was able to clean up the chrome on the frame pretty well and save the original decals but the original fork was way to far gone so I sourced a brand new one and added repro decals.

Other than that it’s mostly original: Haro knee saver bar, Kuwahara stamped cranks, Diamond Back branded pedals. Not sure if the wheels are original but confident if not, they are from the same period and love them.

I swapped the seatpost for a new GT branded layback unit (not sure if it’s a 90s version) so it could be small-adult comfortable to ride.

I just had to add red tires. Not for everyone but BITD I loved to see a colored tires on BMX bikes, some red ODI grips and modern red anodized chainring (the original chainring was cool but way to far gone to save).

I refurbished the original hard plastic Kuwahara branded saddle made by Viscount by lightly sanding the scuffs and then adding a clear coat. It turned out pretty good but this is far from a comfortable saddle and this build was to be my Birch Bay Leisure Park cruiser. I still have the original saddle but have since added a more comfortable one.

The red saddle… This red Selle Italia XO saddle was gifted to me by my 19 year old son for Christmas this year (kinda cool getting gifts from your kids, I’m sure it was not inexpensive). Cool saddle but where am I gonna fit a red saddle in my collection? 🧐

It was pretty clear it had to go on the Kuwahara. Fitted it a couple weeks ago and wasn’t sure at first if it worked for me aesthetically. It’s growing on me though and I do like the look, pretty cool saddle and the backstory of it makes it special, I love the embroidered “Selle Italia”

I’ve received many compliments while tooling around the Leisure Park from people that know what this is (usually dudes around my age :cool:😁)

First photo shows it with the original saddle

20220429_222422084_iOS.jpg
20230128_193434729_iOS.jpg
20230128_193516922_iOS.jpg
20230128_193528271_iOS.jpg
20230128_195725394_iOS.jpg

While I was happy with the red Selle Italia saddle, I always wanted a more proper BMX saddle. I've always thought the Kashimax Aero was one of the best looking BMX saddles. It's great they are still producing them at their factory in Japan. I added the "aero" decal below the factory Kashimax side printing to give it the OG look as they're not printing the word "aero" anymore. It's not as uncomfortable as it looks 😂 and the bike only ever sees short rides.

Also swapped to a period correct chainring (Sugino spider with Super Duralumin ring), and finally replaced the low end headset with a nice Tange unit :cool:

20240210_162247299_iOS.jpg
20240210_162311294_iOS.jpg
20240210_162324638_iOS.jpg
20240210_162333086_iOS.jpg

Back