1994 Kona Cinder Cone Restoration - Go to Whoa

OK off to the model shop this weekend to find a paint match for frame and forks. They have a large range of model paints in a big display which are easily got at to find good candidates. I tend to get a few options because itā€™s unlikely to get a spot on match but with a bit of mixing can get close. They also have super fine paint brushes. I tend to blob paint on then polish it back flat. A fine brush is good for paint blob control. Anyway back home and time to test the match on the forks quickly, itā€™s good. The frame will be trickier, but it doesnā€™t need to be anywhere near perfect. Once the parts are back on blemishes fade away. But I get ahead of myself, cleaning is required before I get into frame paint touch ups.

I wash the forks in hot water with dish soap, this removes most of the grease and grime. In the hot water those odd extra bits on the brake post drop off. Iā€™ve learned to feel around in the sink before pulling the plug. I fish these bits out and into a bag they go.

The ā€˜Project Twoā€™ stickers are a bit rough, but with a little bit of methylated spirits the gooey bits of glue and dirt are gone and they look better. I wash that stuff off quick so it doesnā€™t eat the stickers. I might touch the stickers up a bit, but Iā€™ll see how I feel about that later. Iā€™m also thinking about some clear coat. To be honest Iā€™ll probably just leave them as they are.

Attachments

• 1F3AA125-D391-44A9-9D9A-DDD603A87186.jpeg
    1F3AA125-D391-44A9-9D9A-DDD603A87186.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 30
  • B4BDE89A-B06A-45F3-8D73-1675BF331BD7.jpeg
    B4BDE89A-B06A-45F3-8D73-1675BF331BD7.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 30
OK off to the model shop this weekend to find a paint match for frame and forks. They have a large range of model paints in a big display which are easily got at to find good candidates. I tend to get a few options because itā€™s unlikely to get a spot on match but with a bit of mixing can get close. They also have super fine paint brushes. I tend to blob paint on then polish it back flat. A fine brush is good for paint blob control. Anyway back home and time to test the match on the forks quickly, itā€™s good. The frame will be trickier, but it doesnā€™t need to be anywhere near perfect. Once the parts are back on blemishes fade away. But I get ahead of myself, cleaning is required before I get into frame paint touch ups.

I wash the forks in hot water with dish soap, this removes most of the grease and grime. In the hot water those odd extra bits on the brake post drop off. Iā€™ve learned to feel around in the sink before pulling the plug. I fish these bits out and into a bag they go.

The ā€˜Project Twoā€™ stickers are a bit rough, but with a little bit of methylated spirits the gooey bits of glue and dirt are gone and they look better. I wash that stuff off quick so it doesnā€™t eat the stickers. I might touch the stickers up a bit, but Iā€™ll see how I feel about that later. Iā€™m also thinking about some clear coat. To be honest Iā€™ll probably just leave them as they are.
Hi, I have this bike and love it, so quick! I need to replace the whole drive chain but I dunno what size the bottom bracket is. Can you tell me what size it is? Pretty sure itā€™s gonna be difficult to replace mind.

Quick tip for touching in stone chips ( not scratches) tiny amount of paint on the top of a cocktail stick, much finer and more accurate than any paint brush šŸ˜‰

Hi, I have this bike and love it, so quick! I need to replace the whole drive chain but I dunno what size the bottom bracket is. Can you tell me what size it is? Pretty sure itā€™s gonna be difficult to replace mind.
Iā€™ll take a look and post reply

Quick tip for touching in stone chips ( not scratches) tiny amount of paint on the top of a cocktail stick, much finer and more accurate than any paint brush šŸ˜‰
Yep awesome! I build up a bead of paint let it dry and then gently polish it flat.

Thanks for the replies to this thread. The bike is currently ā€˜ripeningā€™ waiting for me to get to it. šŸ˜€

Iā€™ll take a look and post reply
110mm BB UN51 normal shimano sealed cart BB should be easy to find friend! Let me know if you need more measurements. Chur.

Attachments

• 96564849-EF71-4BB3-94BF-AC613DFD21D7.jpeg
    96564849-EF71-4BB3-94BF-AC613DFD21D7.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 4
Back