1994 Gios Compact Pro

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this frame, fork and headset from a local dealer recently. It came with a modern Campagnolo bottom bracket and he had a second hand Record Compact crankset and was prepared to do a deal so home it all came. I wanted a bike with modern kit for a change so had my local dealer (Cycles Patrick Bonnet) build it up with 10 speed kit to match the crankset. Due to budget considerations I went for affordable (but highly rated apparently) Mavic Aksium wheels. Very pleased with them.

Here’s the spec:

Frame: 1994 Gios Compact Pro – Gios Pro HT tubing

Fork: Time Carbon

Headset: Campagnolo Chorus
Stem: 3T Mutant
Handlebar: ITM Millenium

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Centaur
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Cables: Campagnolo

Shifters: Campagnolo Centaur
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Veloce
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Centaur
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo
Cassette: Campagnolo
Chain: Campagnolo C10
Cranks: Campagnolo Record Compact
Chainrings: 36/50
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo
Pedals: Look

Rims: Mavic Aksium
Hubs: Mavic
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Tyres: Mavic

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Deda RS01
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Bottle Cages: Elite

Weight: Not measured, but given I have a couple of surplus kilos myself I’m not complaining

It’s a lovely bike to ride; I find the compact crankset very useful on the roads around my home, which don’t include many flat sections. The 10 speed Centaur kit is much slicker to use than the 8 speed Athena brifters I have on my Scott. To be honest I don’t know what the forks add to the whole ride but I understand they make it a bit smoother – the country roads around me could do with a bit of smoothing out. I have some straight Mizuno carbon forks in the garage which I might try out at some point just to see.

garage.jpg

seat.jpg

front-4.jpg

recordcompact.jpg

profile.jpg

Very Nice Bike!!
What's that old bike inside the shed ? Can only see a race pedal and a rim...

JYvdK":1l4s7cws said:
Very Nice Bike!!
What's that old bike inside the shed ? Can only see a race pedal and a rim...

Thanks for the comment - the bike hiding away in the gloom is my 1976 Dawes Galaxy. I need to update the Galaxy thread, it's gone through a few changes recently.

Nice one .

And happy to see the sun shining in montpelier , i am landing there on wednesday .

Cool,good luck with the dawes..... good quote by Tim Krabbe...I know his brother the actor Jeroen...Tim actually has a nice white vintage Colnago himself.....

cchris2lou":2j8omzdm said:
Nice one .

And happy to see the sun shining in montpelier , i am landing there on wednesday .

Cheers - I'm away and not back until mid-April but my wife tells me it's raining at the moment so good luck for Wednesday...! Is that the Millau viaduct in your profile photo?

Ok thanks. Found it ;)

That combination between modern components and classic frame is great! Love it!

An Gios-blu :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Rich34":2jav1eg7 said:
cchris2lou":2jav1eg7 said:
Nice one .

Cheers - I'm away and not back until mid-April but my wife tells me it's raining at the moment so good luck for Wednesday...! Is that the Millau viaduct in your profile photo?

better late than never , but yes it is the millau viaduc . it is my hometown .

Cool bike. The only thing that is missing is the chromed steel GIOS fork. I have one lying around and all it is doing right now is collecting dust. Le me know if you are interested.

Back