1993 GT RTS 2

Benmac

Old School Hero
Hi, this is going to be a fairly short build then status thread before this particular bike gets sold. I, like many others, have always wanted an RTS so when I got into retro MTBs I simply had to acquire one. This one was the first that came along that fitted the price, availability, condition etc criteria. It's a 1993 RTS 2 in the sort of titanium / bronze colour they did just for that year.

Originally it would have been M560 LX equipped with various bits of GT OEM finishing kit and a Rock Shox Quadra 10 fork. Much of that is still there but it's also had a few upgrades and swaps along the way, mostly by previous owners but a couple by me as a needs must exercise.

My original plan was a total restore and period "pimping" job on it either stripping and polishing the frame or getting it repainted in the original colour. However, while I was embarking on this and having collected loads of the tarty bits I was going to hang off it a very tidy polished RTS 1 frame popped up, even boasting the alloy back end so I snapped that up and that will serve as the basis for "my" RTS.

This fella then still deserves a decent strip down, clean up and rebuild before I move it on.

As it stands then the spec is:

Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC (sprung)

Headset: OZUS (modern cost effective replacement to replace dodgy old one)
Stem: ATAC alloy
Handlebar: X Lite riser
Grips: Some cheapies I picked up somewhere

Brakes: Shimano LX M600 V
Brake Pads: Dunno
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Shimano LX M600
Bar Ends: N/A

Shifters: Shimano LX M560
Front Derailleur: LX M560
Rear Derailleur: LX M560
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Shimano 7spd - not sure but it's not the proper CS-HG70
Chain: Shimano HG50 (I think)
Cranks: Shimano STX FC-MC32
Crank Bolts: Halfords own
Chainrings: Shimano STX
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: VK 73/113
Pedals: No name flats

Hub Skewers: Unknown turquoise anodised
Rims: Mavic 231 front, Mavic SUP 217 rear
Hubs: Shimano LX M560
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Tioga DH 2.1
Tubes: Unknown

Saddle: Fiz:ik Gobi
Seatpost: Unknown, assume GT OEM
Seatpost Binder: Unknown assume GT OEM with unknown turquoise QR

Here it is when I got it. Honest but needing some tlc. Key issues were the rear hub being iffy, a cracked rocker and the rear triangle being past it's best (just loads of paint missing and a small amount of surface rust. Everything else was grubby but functional.

As part of the purchase the seller threw in an uncracked rocker so that is now on it after having some new bearings installed. Cleaned up and with new bearings it's amazing how much freer the movement at the back end is (ooerrr!).

The rear hub was bizarre. Someone has managed to get a second metal freehub seal in there so no wonder it wouldn't turn properly! Stripped, cleaned and reassembled properly it is now OK. Still definitely not buttery smooth but it turns and spins. I'll probably have another tinker with it as it all looks OK so should be better.

The only other grief was the chainset removal. The threads for the remover were utterly goosed and a gear puller just wouldn't budge it. Sadly then out came the angle grinder. That's why it now sports an STX chainset and a new BB. Nearly managed to save the BB but couldn't help putting a nick in the taper that was bad enough to warrant binning it.

The rear triangle got stripped back to bare metal then etch primed, primed, painted, new decal apply (thanks Gil), clearcoated. Only a DIY rattle can job but came out well and certainly looks loads healthier than it did. I actually went to the trouble of getting the frame paint matched too as I was going to do that as part of the original plan but have left it as is for this build. Whoever has it next can have the can I had made!

Everything else was fairly simple - remove, clean up, reinstall and set up and certainly an easier thing to set up than my Pro-Flexes or my modern Giant Anthem.

How it was when I got it

IMG_7363_zpsvqzoxobg.jpg

Bare frame totally stripped down

IMG_0241_zpselee2wo7.jpg

Repainted rear end

IMG_0249_zpsphu6rcre.jpg

The rebuild starts (the Judys had a minor service while they were off the bike)

IMG_0250_zpsios3lljz.jpg

Back end and chainset on

IMG_0251_zpsei9gvogv.jpg

More to follow over the next few days as I complete the build. Then I'll be onto the long road of polishing the RTS 1 frame.

Good stuff. Always nice to see someone putting real effort and love into a restoration (or perhaps more of a rescue build in this case), albeit that it's swiftly moving onto pastures new.

:)

Re:

Ta, yes I couldn't just oil the chain and then whack it in the classifieds, wouldn't feel right and for me a huge part of the retrobike thing is working on them. In terms of the rear end aspects it also allowed me to learn about how RTSs go together for my later build.

I've just done similar with one of my Pro Flexes as well which I built as a retro rider but then got hold of one with the carbon vector forks. Its been an easier sale as it's all in good working condition and it makes me more comfortable knowing that it's leaving me better than it arrived.

I was hoping to have the RTS 2 done this week but I have done my back in big time which I do from time to time (ironically the original cause was falling off my bike and landing on a tree stump about 20 years ago in an XC race).

Good on you. I had similar feelings when I did my first restoration on my Al Mega DX last year - my first venture back into bikes for years, even got into stripping and rebuilding the Judy fork I put on it, so if that ever passes on I'll feel good about it. Even the practice of setting up mechs and brakes helped get the bug back properly and I'm now onto my third build in less than a year haha! Surely your RTS-1 will be more the better for this experience and the 2 will get all the attention it needs for its next owner. :D

Hope the back improves soon!

Re:

.......and it's done. Not many pics of the rest of the rebuild as a) it wouldn't have been hugely exciting and b) I have really nastily done my back in this week so things have taken longer than planned and have been more a case of "get it done".

Anyway, all back together now. I'm still not wholly happy with the rear hub as it's rather grumbly. I think the cones may be goosed. Will have another go if time allows but it spins and there is no play. Both ends bounce pretty nicely, the brakes and gears work sweetly and it all feels tight. The tyres are, in my opinion too wide for it at the rear being 2.35s. There was a slight rub on the non drive side but a quick bit of truing sorted that but it's still plenty close on either side.

Nice looking bike though now she's back together. In hindsight i think I have cabled it up incorrectly with both mechs down the right and the rear brake on the left. Reason is that the stop on the rear of the seat tube for the FD is angled such that it'd be better being fed from the left hand side of the bike. However, with V brakes having the rear brake going down the left hand side makes for a neater cable run to the V brake noodle so I'm not too bothered.

FEC3CA57-C09A-4523-B19C-2DF3DBF3AC42_zpsypn7k64y.jpg

143A55B4-1643-487A-97E4-48DED9D9ED27_zpsoyfiathb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Benmac75/C2F4D132-51AD-48A3-8DEF-D2337E602136_zpsfupwuj9r.jpg[/img

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Benmac75/A673B529-9989-43CA-9DC1-768296E583EE_zpstd2gizi8.jpg

19EF6950-2C93-47FE-81E8-C7D3455A2338_zps2eqx3e6c.jpg

Latest posts

Back