1993 Fillet Brazed Curtlo Mountaineer - Done

Re:

This thing is pretty much done. Just needs decals and grips.

Took a lot longer than I thought between the new kid and me obsessing over the fork setup. I picked up a Curtlo Mountaineer with action tec fork for another project so I am now certain this '93 frame is not designed for it. I does appear to be slightly suspension adjusted, but not fully? I can tell you its fine with the fork I have on it geometry wise.

I did try a bunch of 3dv on it, but it just looked dumb. I went back to a silver, blue, and grey theme. Looks pretty cool.

Probably the prettiest part of the bike ...

Re:

1993 Curtlo

Haven’t posted in a while … might be fun to start again with all this indoor time.

I have had this thing done for a while. It's a pretty awesome riding bike. I bounced around a bit on the build group on this. I was gonna do a 3DV monster, but gravitated back to a more classic look.

Frame: 1993 Curtlo Mountaineer (Fillet Brazed)

Fork: Custom

Headset: Shimano XTR
Stem: Answer ATAC Team Cut
Handlebar: Hyperlite
Grips: ODI
Barends: NONE

Brakes: Grafton
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringle
Brake Levers: XTR

Shifters: XTR
Front Derailleur: XTR
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: XTR
Chain: XTR
Cranks: Boone
Crank Bolts: Ti
Chainrings: Syncros
Chainring bolts: Ti
Bottom Bracket: Action Tec Ti
Pedals: BeeBops

Hub Skewers: Cook
Rims: Araya 400 Pro
Hubs: XTR
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: 2.5 Spesh Umma Gumma Extreme
Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Avocet
Seatpost: IRD
Seatpost Binder: Ti

Re:

Thanks guys. It's probably one of the better riding bikes I've built for my local trails. Not particularly fast with those big tires, but its sorta like a big BMX with the rise on that stem. Great on the sections that are like a long pump track and its really stable in the slow stuff. Not the most comfortable climber ... could probably fix that with some barends but whatever. Its pretty.

Too bad its locked up at my parents place for the foreseeable future ... along with most of my collection. I have 4 or 5 bikes I built over the winter I'd like to try. Also wouldn't mind seeing the parents from a bit closer than the curb when I drop off food :(

Stay safe all.

Just beautiful, another great build. That colour looks amazing. Do those saddles come with that colour writing or was that something you did, or did you match the bike to the writing?, either way its a great touch :cool:

mk one":fbeb73rj said:
Just beautiful, another great build. That colour looks amazing. Do those saddles come with that colour writing or was that something you did, or did you match the bike to the writing?, either way its a great touch :cool:

Thanks!! The saddle is original avocet and I’ve never see another one. I grabbed it off eBay several years ago and it just sat in my saddle bin. I had forgot about it and when I decided on the colour for the frame. I pulled it out when I was building and it matched perfectly. It makes the build IMO.

Magic end result! First instinct was best on the paint, for sure.

Will you try the Manitou 1 on there? I think that might make it even more fun to ride (it would also look really good I think, tie right in with the, grey tyres, different silver metal tones etc).

All the silver and blue gives me some good ideas for my IBOC Team build v.2 :LOL:

Back