1992 Diamond Back Topanga - project diet-on-the-cheap

cce":31rmf7y5 said:
skewers have been changed for generic bolt-up allen key ones. total weight is now 28.8lbs

1) All 3 of them, if not change the seat one for a allen nut and bolt, even better if the binder holes havea nut shape to fit one in recessed.

2) Take out ALL the bolts for bottle cages, or similar unused one's and look around for some old bic pens, stick the endcaps from them in the holes.

3) Take the plastic spoke protector off.

4) Take the thick heavy rim rubber rimtape out (assuming there is some) and use black electrical tape. Works very well and is much lighter.

5) see if anyone has and old worn kevlar light tyre to ship you for £3.99. Two of these and the weight will drop... and drop where it's needed.

i have a pretty well worn folding Fire XC pro i'm going to take down next time i go to t1nt1n's house, so that's a start

those 300LX cranks will be a lot lighter with alu rings instead of steel and while you're at it - replace the bolts with alu ones.

Uno stems are very light and very cheap.

single speed isn't a bad idea....but less invasive would be to lose the granny/big rings and the FD. 1x7 is great for around towning. if anyone had a right thumbshifter laying around you could swap some lighter levers and ditch the push-push too :)

That bike has two tubes joining the head tube and seat tube: my Raleigh Commando managed with only one...

Do you need the full seat post length?

I think I've got some crappy V cantis in the spares box which you can have for post costs (can't remember if I binned them though). If I do have them, I've a pair of V levers too (I'll put them in the same box).
At least you should stop a wee bit better.

xizang":2o3hnyar said:
I think I've got some crappy V cantis in the spares box which you can have for post costs (can't remember if I binned them though). If I do have them, I've a pair of V levers too (I'll put them in the same box).
At least you should stop a wee bit better.

unfortunately it has STIs - very kind of you though

Back