1991 Trek 990

alif18

Retro Newbie
Here we have my rebuilt Trek 990 which I bought off ebay for £31 back in April. Whilst the frame (True Temper Ox Comp built in the Trek factory in Wisconsin, USA) was still in decent condition, pretty much everything else was in a bit of a state. I reckon the original owner bought just the frame and forks (original rigid Tange Big Forks) and built the bike from components he had lying around as nothing matched the original spec that I found on the web and everything was older and of a lower spec. The finished bike isn’t a copy of the original Trek spec’d bike as I’ve rebuilt it just as I want it and some of the parts are new. However, the forks, wheels, mechs, and brakes all date from 1999. Although the red is the 1992 colour, the serial number is from 1991. The following is an explanation from Skip Echert of the Vintage Trek website: “Yes, from the color of your bike would seem to be a 92 Model 990. But, the serial number actually is for a 91 bike, which should have been painted (per the 91 catalog) black and conch (pink-orange) with black graphics (rather ghastly in my view). Confusing all this is that Trek sometimes painted the Treks going to Europe with colors different from the paint in the US catalogs. Also, Trek sometimes changed colors mid-year, after the catalogs had been printed. However, the 91 had a steel fork and the 92 had a Trek DS2 suspension fork. So I am thinking yours is a 91.” The bike is used regularly both on and off road. I also have a set of Mavic 221/LX wheels with slicks and used the bike for a leisurely two day circuit of Anglesey. One pic is from the ebay advert, ie. as the bike looked when I picked it up and the others are the finished article. Whilst maybe not one for the purists and not a contender for Bike of the Month, this is an excellent bike to ride and I reckon is more than a match for the new breed of quality steel framed mtb's.

Frame: Trek 990 True Temper Ox Comp II Dbl Butted – Made in USA

Fork: Pace RC 36 Evo II

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Rudd
Handlebar: Bontrager
Grips: Ritchey
Barends: Icon

Brakes: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR

Shifters: Sram Attack 3x9
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Cassette: Shimano XT
Chain: Sram PC 991
Cranks: Shimano Deore DX
Chainrings: Shimano/Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: BBB

Hub Skewers: Acor
Rims: Mavic Crosslink
Hubs: Mavic Crosslink
Tyres: Kenda Dred Tread

Saddle: Selle XO Trans Am
Seatpost: Orange
Seatpost Binder: Trek

And a bell!

Attachments

• P1000849.jpg
    P1000849.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 4,073
  • P1000979.jpg
    P1000979.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 4,075
  • P1000980.jpg
    P1000980.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 4,074
  • P1000981.jpg
    P1000981.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 4,071
I like these more now than I did when they were new. Straight top tube, rack mounts, simple graphics, lugs etc all were a negative for me in in 92 they are now positives! A great do it all bike.

Back