1991 Muddyfox Courier Mega

The Hoff

Retro Newbie
1991 Muddyfox Courier Mega

It’s a long story of why I came about fully restoring two Muddyfox Courier Mega bikes and you can read that at the end of this post if your interested, but I the meantime let me talk you thought what I have for sale.

This is a 16” framed 1991 Muddyfox Courier Mega. The frame has been completely sandblasted, etch primed and painted the original blue metallic. I had the paint mixed up specialy. The All important decals have been remanufactured by a local vinyl print works at substantial expense but I think you’ll agree they look ‘just right’. Even the frame geometry decals that are only on the Courier Mega and Sorcerer Mega have been remanufactured. The bike was carefully rebuild using the original groupset which was stipped, cleaned and rebuilt. I’v also fitted a new 11-28 rear cassette and chain. It's had a full new set of cables and casings and detailed right down to the cable ferrules and end caps. The seat pin and handlegrips were too far gone so they’ve been replaced with new but the all importnad original Muddyfox saddle is there and in tip top condition.

If you're into your retro-bikes then this is one for your collection. When else to you get the chance to buy what is essentially a brand new 25 year old bike!

If your interested got back to me. I'm open to sensible offers so get in touch. I have a cardboard bike box set aside so can ship by courier etc. Talk to me.

So, what drives a man to restore two 25 year old Muddyfoxs'.

Well back in 1991 I was 16 years old and saved my summer job money to buy an 18” Courier Mega. All was well and I cherished the bike for three years until some B****** stole it from our garden shed. Fast forward 21 years and I was still pee’d off that my coveted Courier was stolen away from me. After contemplating how to put matters rights and square the loss in my mind I decided to try and source a replacement Courier Mega!

I spent the best part of a year searching ebay and retro forums and with no luck but eventualy found a 16” bike on ebay. This wasn’t ideal as I was looking for an 18” frame like the one I had but as they appeared thin on the ground I snapped up the 16". As is typically 4 weeks later another Courier Mega came up on ebay only this time it was an 18” - Bingo, bike number 2!!

Both bikes were pretty tatty but complete. They still had the all-important Araya wheels, their original saddles and even the Muddyfox branded seat post release bolt.

As you can imagine my wife, family and friends thought I was mad. To be fair they were right because I’d just paid over £120 to buy and ship two tatty 25 year old bikes! 9 month later they still think I’m mad but realise that now I have two ‘brand new’ 25 year old bikes!

In reflection this has been a completely frivolous waste of my own money! Nevertheless it makes me smile every time I tell the story and at the end of the day I have the 18” Muddyfox Courier Mega which I am keeping, enjoying and I t closes the loop on the theft back in 1994.

Anyway, romance aside it doesn’t get away from the fact that this exploit has cost me a fortune. Buying the bikes, shipping, £100 to get the decals remanufactured for the two bikes, £70 for primer, hardener and 1L of the special colour mix plus whatever else for new chains, cassettes, seat pins, cables, bearing bla bla bla. It's been an expensive but enjoyable lesson. I may not get my money back but it makes me smile

Best wishes
Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.PNG
    IMG_0308.PNG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_0306.PNG
    IMG_0306.PNG
    57 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_0305.PNG
    IMG_0305.PNG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_0310.PNG
    IMG_0310.PNG
    64 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_0304.PNG
    IMG_0304.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,041
Re:

I was thinking more like £150+.
Yes, I think that first offer I get of £150 I will seriously consider.

Back