1991 Marin Pine Mountain survivor.....it's a G*TE! :)

Re:

One minor issue sorted on the bike last night - removing the head of an allen key which has sheared off in the stem quill bolt.

This was going to go one of 2 ways! Luckily with a bit of careful drilling it let go and came out attached to the drill bit. Happy days! :)

Dragged the 19" PineM out of the shed ready to swap some bits over.....anyone wanna buy the 19" frameset ;)

p.s. thread title edited to avoid upset to those riders of the taller stature..... ;) :)

Damn! That thing is HUGE! :D

J/K I have several XLs and 20" +

Looking good and that was a good break on the bolt head. Tapping can be a PITA in a tight space.

Smithjss70":ml9u9hgy said:
Damn! That thing is HUGE! :D

J/K I have several XLs and 20" +

Looking good and that was a good break on the bolt head. Tapping can be a PITA in a tight space.

Haha....she's a beast! Looking forward to seeing it all clean and fully decalled.

So where to start on the overhaul? Rear wheel seemed a good place to get cracking.....7 busted spokes!

On the stand......sans rear wheel

Rear wheel off and stripped

7 busted spokes!

Rear wheel all back together.....

Tyre cleaned (old brake dust removed as best as possible)
7 spokes replaced and wheel trued....still have a little bit of "hop" which I'll try to tweak out later
Cassette stripped and cleaned.
Spokes wire woolled and cleaned
Hub stripped and greased (not that I needed to bother - absolutely fantastic condition)

Removed the remainder of the old decals - using petrol! Zolatone really is tough paint!

Next up - front wheel overhaul......

Re:

Small progress this week.

Heavy steel black handlebars removed and lighter pukka '91 Marin ally bars painted up to match the stem and fork.

Halfords Neon Orange is such a good match - I'm considering blending in a patch repair on a really nasty chip on the otherwise flawless stem.

For an otherwise completely stock standard original bike it seems odd that it was fitted with heavy non-original steel handle bars.....

The History Man":26xqosoa said:
My eyes...it burns!

Look away man! Look away! Your retinas can't take it! :)

(To be fair the camera struggles with it - it's brighter in real life, looks red in the pics)

Back