1991 Gary Fisher Mt Tam - Restoration Project

I got a first spin in on the Mt Tam! Yahoo - what a time warp! I love the stretched out riding position. The drive train is perfect; super smooth with crisp shifts front and back. The brakes stop nicely and really work well for a 30 year old bike. Even though suspension has come a long way in 30 years, the Rock Shox fork is like new again and actually works. It's quite light and feels much like a regular rigid fork at 42PSI - until you need it, then it's there to suck up bigger hits. I'll give it a proper test tomorrow on the trail and try different PSI, etc. The schrader valves are nice upgrade.

The current tires and saddle are pretty sad though still functional; they came off a Giant junior mountain bike. I think the Roadmaster saddle originated on a Sears department store bike? The tires are some budget Kenda 1.95 cross tires with a nice center ridge; they are cracked but still have tread and hold air. The original grips are in use but they had been cut down (unevenly to boot) and they twist on the bar as they are old and stretched out.

As this is gonna be a rider, I will put modern tires and grips on next week. While I'd like to find the original Fisher toe clips and straps, I will probably replace the pedals with SPD anyway. I don't care for the look of the original Fisher saddle, but I would like to find something period correct; Selle Italia, or Rolls San Marcos, etc... let me know if you have something. Yeah, the saddle is all cocked back. I didn't tighten it sufficiently.

Attachments

• mt-fini-first-ride5.JPG
    mt-fini-first-ride5.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 790
  • mt-fini-first-ride4.JPG
    mt-fini-first-ride4.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 789
  • mt-fini-first-ride3.JPG
    mt-fini-first-ride3.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 790
  • mt-fini-first-ride2.JPG
    mt-fini-first-ride2.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 792
Nice job! You may want to consider some frame wrap…maybe just in certain areas. Your bike is definitely a collectors item and you have made a point of trying to bring it back to original spec. the fact that you are riding it is awesome, most collectible rebuilds become wall hangers!

Back