1991 Claud Butler Oracle “Suntour XCT Special”

My hands are sore though
I live Edinburgh Centre lots of cobbles and I forgot what it was like with no suspension...
I just purchased a 1990 selle italia titanium fight for it...

My hands are sore though
I live Edinburgh Centre lots of cobbles and I forgot what it was like with no suspension...
Ah yes, the pleasure of the boneshaker. You get used to it, playing around with different tyres can help and different grips. Another option could be a set of 4130 bars rather than alu.

Ah yes, the pleasure of the boneshaker. You get used to it, playing around with different tyres can help and different grips. Another option could be a set of 4130 bars rather than alu.
They are Reynolds 501 bars and I'm considering a girvin flexstem if I can find a turquoise one at good price to suit headset

They are Reynolds 501 bars and I'm considering a girvin flexstem if I can find a turquoise one at good price to suit headset
I never actually ran a flexstem but some people swear by them, might be a good call. Didn't know the bars were 501, that's cool! I find that my Surly steel bars have just the right amount of flex to smoothen out the ride, but I also run 2,3's and it dampens everything a fair bit. At the end of the day it's probably the fact that I only ride rigid, so I'm used to it.

Nice looking bike nonetheless :)

I never actually ran a flexstem but some people swear by them, might be a good call. Didn't know the bars were 501, that's cool! I find that my Surly steel bars have just the right amount of flex to smoothen out the ride, but I also run 2,3's and it dampens everything a fair bit. At the end of the day it's probably the fact that I only ride rigid, so I'm used to it.

Nice looking bike nonetheless :)
Many thanks is there a market for the old suntour groupset you could recommend
I will never need it and it great condition for the age ... or if its just ebay I'll just clean and keep

Many thanks is there a market for the old suntour groupset you could recommend
I will never need it and it great condition for the age ... or if its just ebay I'll just clean and keep
I'm not really that well versed in Suntour. There's a forum section for evaluation:

Take some pics and share it. XCT is like LX level I think? So should be a robust albeit non-luxury groupset.

Perhaps Peachy can give you a better idea :)

My hands are sore though
Letting some air out of the tyres will also help. They look about 2 inches so 2 bar/29psi pressure is enough.

I'm not really that well versed in Suntour. There's a forum section for evaluation:

Take some pics and share it. XCT is like LX level I think? So should be a robust albeit non-luxury groupset.

Perhaps Peachy can give you a better idea :)

Ermmm…. I think @legrandefromage could give better feedback regarding the Suntour kit, but I’m not sure he has a particularly high opinion of it.
As for the 501 Claud frameset? Again pretty low end but then there’s nothing wrong with that.
Although value wise I’ve moved better bikes on for less money.
As for flogging the Suntour group, stick on the RetroBike for sale page.

Back