1991 Alpinestars cromega DX

rusty trowel

Retro Newbie
First off, hello all, new to this forum.

Met a few of you the other week at the Purbecks ride. Really enjoyed riding my alpinestars for the first time in 16 years, can't believe how good a rigid bike felt after so long. Shame about the stem cracking as that brought my fun to a premature end - could have been much worse.

Now the dilemna- I now want a modern rigid/short travel hardtail and am struggling to fund it. First to go will be the on one 456, then the 531 raleigh retro road bike and probably the Alpinstars too.

Anyone got any idea of what it might be worth? as i won't get rid of it if its not worth it. Photos on the Purbecks thread.

Thanks Rusty.

why not keep the alpine stars and fund a set of rigid forks for the 456? - its set for different geometry by fork length (4, 5, or 6")

These could be funded from the sale of the raliegh or even better the sus fork from your 456 (I have a 456 as well - its awesome & there really isn't much that can hold its own against full-sussers out there when you want to play in the new parks etc) check the on-one website for prices for a rigid fork.

I have a couple of stems you could have to repair your bust one.

keep it real (&retro)!

Welcome to the forum :D

Now come on.....there's loads of life left in that stem now its be 'repaired' :LOL:

Your Alpinestars was one of my favorite bikes from the ride.
I know that jonnyboy666 was interested in it, so maybe drop him a pm ;)

You can get replacement alpinestars stems from SJS. The 1991 stems were recalled because of the problem you've just suffered, but the ones are at SJS cycles are the stronger 1992 models.

Latest posts

Back