1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX - FINISHED! Pages 7-9

Re: 91 Al-Mega DX project

Bad news and not-so bad news:

Firstly, the bad news is that Garry at Argos Racing Cycles noticed a crack in the down tube, just below the weld at the head tube (where they all go). I was absolutely gutted, shocked and disappointed at the discovery.

The not-so-bad news: Garry knows a guy can weld it so ensure some preservation of my beloved old frame, so my rebuild project is still alive!

I guess there's two ways of looking at this awful news, but both with a positive spin. 1. If I hadn't taken it to Argos the crack may never have been found and I could've seriously damaged the frame on its first outing if I'd chosen either not to strip and repaint, or had someone else do it. 2. The fact it's being welded to repair it means I have to be extra careful, thus giving me a bonafide reason to not use it much once rebuilt! :LOL:

Guess my initial preliminary inspection wasn't up to much, eh?! :oops: But I feel totally confident the frame's in the best of hands with the experts at Argos in Bristol. Should be ready mid-October, so a few extra weeks of parts hunting have been afforded to me! :D

The crack (the thin dark line nearest the headtube):

At Argos, last time I'll see it in this state!

Re:

Don't want to dent your enthusiasm, but if I were you I'd forget about riding it...........
I had the yearning for an Al Mega so bought a complete bike off Ebay about 2 years back.
Arrived, and it was cracked on head tube & seat tube & stem was cracked, I disputed the sellers description & won a refund.
On thinking about it, I decided not to send it back, but keep it as I figured I could get another frame and swap the bits over, the bits being hard to find.
Got a near mint one off a seller on this forum, really chuffed with it, and there were definitely no cracks, any flaw in the paint on these things is the giveaway.
After a few months of the frame sitting in my dining room I got all enthusiastic about putting it together.
Devastated (understatement) to find it had developed a crack half way around the seat tube thro' one of the tapped insertions for the bottle cage.
Got it welded & fannied about with white undercoat & white pearlescent & lacquer to get it back to something presentable without filling and smoothing out the weld.
Left it another month or so in the dining room before regaining some flagging enthusiasm for the thing.
Unbelievably, it had cracked again about 3'' below the new weld...............
So.......... have got 2 useless frames, project has been ongoing for too long, and still have never ridden one............
Don't risk it, I'll be going for a steel one........... if I ever get any enthusiasm back.

Re: Re:

littlewing":3msrvo7z said:
Don't want to dent your enthusiasm, but...

Ahh mate that's painful to read :(

You've not dented my enthusiasm at all, I'm (more) realistic about this project now that I've experienced this crack and even more so reading your post.

I think it'll become a garage queen! (For pure safety's sake!)

Ultimately whatever I'd obtained and whatever level of restoration and/or investment I'd made, I honestly think it'd end up on the garage wall as an ornament more than ever being ridden, this situation just makes that easier to justify now :p

For a rider I'd consider finding a '92 frame with the gusset and painting it as a '91.

Yeah that'd be an idea I think there's one been done on the forum and its stunning. I've got a 92 Al Mega XTR which is definitely not for riding, although that plan may change now haha!

After much searching during the past two weeks, tonight I've finally unearthed a cache of goodies from my original bike, all huddle together in a black sack with a. Load of other black sacks of car stuff that I'd already checked, but not the sack that contained my original Flite Ti saddle and USE black anodised alloy seat post that I won for letter of the month in MBUK magazine (!!) - 2 head parts are missing but I don't care if I don't even find those and have to buy a whole other seat post, I've found MINE! At least the original shim is still present!! These both mean so much to me and this build. Tatty they may be, but they're MY tatty! The saddle was a Xmas pressie, too, and I'm a sentimental sod!

Also found the original Deore DX Q/R skewers (which I need!), a pair of the only bottle cage design I ever found to fit in between the elevated chain stays on my bike apart from the Alpinestars OEM cage: they're el-cheapo plastico, but very light and very functional, and some tidy looking (albeit a bit of grime) Orange Friction Addiction grips (which won't be going into this bike, so I'll stick them up as a Karma sale later!).

After Friday's bad news, this has cheered me right up! :)

Not much I can do until the frame is back, but today I cleaned up the wheels and fitted the new tyres :cool: Original Deore DX hubs and Ritchey Vantage Comp rims. A few spokes and nipples will need replacing though.

Hi Regan,
i have got a 1992 cro-mega frame, which i am not going to use. Maybe that will help you?
best regards, Marcel

Mr. 4-Speed":fjleebuz said:
Hi Regan,
i have got a 1992 cro-mega frame, which i am not going to use. Maybe that will help you?
best regards, Marcel

Hi Marcel
Thank you, but I'm already balls deep into this project and it really must be a 91 Al-Mega :)

Is that the one you told me about and you checked to see if it had the bottle cage?

I might know someone who wants the frame though, I'll send you PM with details :)

Back