1989 RekTek - Canadian Content

classen":1fi3szbf said:
I'm not too worried.
I weighed the rust that came out of both arms and it totaled 703mg. The cranks themselves weigh 383g. So the percent of the cranks mass that is now missing as a result of rust is approximately 0.703/383 * 100 = 0.18%

main.php

main.php

I'm not sweating it. I will put a bit of rust converter inside the cranks and let it sit a few days. Then my friend, who is an excellent welder, is going to just touch those holes to fill them in. I will then sand them down so they'll be smoother than a baby's bottom and the powdercoater guy will do his magic.

If someone with knowledge and access to CAD software to run some finite element analysis on these cranks to see if the 3mm hole weakens the crank I think we would all be interested in the answer. I'm not going to be hammering these too hard so I'll take my chances. :)
and assuming it is rust, the percentage of the original crank is even less.

Well received some stuff back from the powdercoaters and started assembling the cockpit.

I gave a small offering (a fine Mendicino Brewing Company Red Tail Ale, which I embibed after giving libations to the gods of NOS) as I peeled the protective film off the Syncros bars, and unpacked the SS5 levers.

I can't for the life of me find the Syncros decals I purchased specifically for this project so ended up ordering another set from Manitou916. I need a set for the stem and for the cranks.

main.php

That's an awesome bike! Reminds me of the Ti Rek-Tek that came through the shop last year. A guy bought used and just wanted it re-building and working properly. I couldn't help putting waaaaay too much free work into it (polishing the frame and Manitou Twos for a start....). Did I think to take a photo of it? Of course not.... :roll: The guy who sold it wanted it back! I'd have bought it myself if I'd had the cash.... Oh well, I got a case of beer out of it! :LOL:

:cool: Rektek coming along far too nicely!!! ;)

walleater":2ynajlb9 said:
...Reminds me of the Ti Rek-Tek that came through the shop last year. ...Did I think to take a photo of it? Of course not.... :roll:

D'oh, why didn't you get a piccy? :LOL: Would loved to have seen another ti one. There's a linky to mine in my signature... Do you know if their shop/s are still in business as I'm after some replacement original decals? Thanks.

Yeah I'm an idiot! I don't know why I forgot.

I think Rek-Tek came out of Reckless Bikes back in the day. They still have the same brand but I don't think they do anything interesting though:

http://www.reckless.ca/

Someone who has been here a lot longer than me is free to correct me though.

It seems Reckless Rider the LBS is still in business, but not really sure what, if anything, they are doing with regards to custom bikes. I started an "all things RekTek" thread over here for more general discussions of the bike, the shop, etc.

For my current build I decided to outright plagiarize their new logo, even though my bike is pretty old. You can see on the first page of this thread what the logo on the down tube looked like in 1989, and then from the rest of the thread you can see the version I made using their current logo as a guide.

Looking good Scott. :cool:

Did you refinish the handlebar and redecal it? Why is there a guerrilla on it? don't think the old shimmed bars had that on them. :?

RockiMtn":1cyo6hjg said:
Looking good Scott. :cool:

Did you refinish the handlebar and redecal it? Why is there a guerrilla on it? don't think the old shimmed bars had that on them. :?

I purchased these NOS bars from mfh126. The ones I bought are in the front of the picture at the top of this thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1280041

Syncros added the little "Pro Series" and "Hard Core" icons to their stuff in the 1994 catalogue. Perhaps the Guerrilla was added in 95 or 96? I don't have either of those catalogues.

RockiMtn":2xbx6y1d said:
Why is there a gorilla on it? don't think the old shimmed bars had that on them. :?

Looks like it was a 1993 thing based on clues in these ads (i.e. there is a reference to the GORILLA SERIES in the seat post ad)

Attachments

• Syncros_1993_bars.jpg
    Syncros_1993_bars.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 81
  • Syncros_1993_stem.jpg
    Syncros_1993_stem.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 81
  • Syncros_1993_seatpost.jpg
    Syncros_1993_seatpost.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Back