1989 Mantis Valkyrie

Haaland":3aruu5xb said:
Maybe, Roy ;)

Yes, I have a second one as well. Long time project I guess. Have you seen it at Toxic?
I was in dropping off my Horny Toad frame on Tuesday.
Saw it and ran right over to it. Love these.
Very cool fork you have for it as well.
Some day i will get mine done.

Retro_Roy":3qja4slm said:
Haaland":3qja4slm said:
Maybe, Roy ;)

Yes, I have a second one as well. Long time project I guess. Have you seen it at Toxic?
I was in dropping off my Horny Toad frame on Tuesday.
Saw it and ran right over to it. Love these.
Very cool fork you have for it as well.
Some day i will get mine done.

Very excited to see it myself one day. Bought it in Canada and got to sent to Harald. He is so extremely talented so that’s an easy call.

Toad, ey? Sounds awesome!

mkone":3qja4slm said:
:cool: looking very nice now, like this stem better too.

Like the colour and also like it alot in the green on the first picture. And this photo is quite good too :)

Mark

Agree, the Macaroni stem is better. Gives the bike a more race-oriented feel, and since it actually was raced in 1990 WC that is more correct for the bike.

Gil made them. He have a lot in stock now. Just needs to talk to him about sizing on a few on them. Stem and seat post is correct. Switchbacks are not far away he said for some time ago.

Finally. Summer is here in Norway and so is the bike. Finished.

I finally got a nice shifter to the IRD dropper qr. I needed one with minimal clamp since I installed the XT thumbies under the bar, and the Suntour Mighty shifter fits perfect. Got to have under the bar mounted thumbies on this since it was raced buy Mark Bolish in Boulder and Moab in the 1990 WC. And one that was very known for the under the bar thumbies was Paul Thomasberg, the man (together with Rod Moses) beyond the IRD seat post. Some connections there, then.

Got a bit tricked out with IRD Rotary rear brake, IRD Switchback front brake, IRD RQR and seat post, IRD Macaroni stem. Bullseye crankset, Merlin handlebar. Shimano XT 730/732 hubs, Campa rims - I wanted to keep the Italian connection with this one since it cam to me via Italy.

Very interesting to ride - very stiff and smooth sometimes, and a bit wobbly in other parts of the trail I suspect the elevated design have something to do about that...

Mantis Valkyrie VK2011 by Bjørnar Håland, on Flickr

Re:

A dream bike for bike, just beautiful.

al.

Just got it back this week.

It’s much better than expected, and I expected a lot! Harald is really a great painter, that is for sure.

Back