1989 Diamond Back Ascent EX Restoration Project

Back in 1988 me and two mates bought Ascents, a month later a friend bought an Ascent EX - bright red with a U brake and farmer John tyres, it was bloody amazing. The following year my mates younger brother bought the smoke paint tange framed Ascent EX. Envy was rife and some rattle can resprays were undertaken, we got the smoke effect using a candle then lacquering over the top of it. It looked pretty good I remember, then again I was only 16 so it might have been shite !

Re:

These are great looking bikes.

Here's a photo of mine as it was when I found it - check out that near-vertical quill stem.

It's currently in bits while I restore some parts and source others.

Attachments

• DB Ascent EX.JPG
    DB Ascent EX.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 427
Not yet. Still refining it with a high-resolution printer. It's not exactly an urgent project! BTW: You'll need to be able to print white to get right.

Re:

I'm working on it as well. I'll post a copy when I finish. My bike goes to get painted soon so I'll have a couple weeks to rebuild the wheels and work on the decals.

Re:

A local place here sandblasts and powder coats for $275. Pretty good deal to me and let's me support a local business. I'm getting it done hot pink with sparkles (I know not factory restoration but I still want to keep the OG decals because they look really cool).

Pink sparkles are actually not that far off the mark. There's a purple-tinted clear coat with flecks in it. Check out the pic:

How's your progress with the decals?

Attachments

• Down Tube Lustre Close-up.jpg
    Down Tube Lustre Close-up.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 169
Back