1988 IRD Semi Stroker

Haaland

Retro Guru
Well, this can be pretty fun. The 1988 or so IRD Semi Stroker, built by Rod Moses for his wife Belinda.

Originally, this was the only IRD bike with a seat stay mounted U-brake, but Rod re-welded it to use it with Widget brakes. Works better he says. Probably right, but I would love to use it with a rear Rotary and use the extra cable routing for a RQR remote release. Let’s see.

202mm Bullseye crank, IRD spec wheels (Bullseye hubs, radially built), IRD Macaroni stem, IRD handlebar and seatpost. IRD Expedition Titanium Fork. Rotary or Widget brakes.

The IRD Semi Stroker by Bjørnar Håland, on Flickr

Re:

Very interesting, geometry looks years ahead of it's time, long & low it looks a single-track missile although I didn't know cranks arms existed that long.

Re:

Looking at the specs of this rig and knowing of Rod M, I would not wanna cross his wife ! A true one off with so many cool touches :cool:

Re: Re:

fettler":1gckakjl said:
Very interesting, geometry looks years ahead of it's time, long & low it looks a single-track missile although I didn't know cranks arms existed that long.
This is just a Semi-Stroker, the Stroker model had 225mm cranks.

The Expedition XC looks much better than the Ti fork, although it came a little later. Who did the paint for you?
Gil has decals for the frame/fork if you need them. :)

I bought this directly from Rod, and I think he did the paint or he has a guy that does it. He was not happy about the seat stay mounted Rotary brake on this one, so he re-welded it to canti bosses. He tried to strengthen the seat stay and even tried with dual brake arches without success before modding the frame.

Yes, this is just the “modest” version with a 202mm crankset - but I suspect that the size of the frame makes this rather unconventional anyways. I am 182cm and this with a good post and 140mm Macaroni is rather normal in certain aspects, not at all in other aspects. It has the top tube size of a Yo Eddy in Large size, the seat tube of a small one, or something like that.

About the fork - yes, the black forks looks so much better, but at the time I just have the titanium and suspension version. Let’s see - maybe there will be a full Stoker with a black aluminium Expedition fork in the future ;)

Back