1986 Raleigh Road Ace (531C, totally original)

I'm going to turn my nice original Road Ace into a hipster fixie is the kind of post to put on LFGSS, not RetroBike :)

Bats":pyj1p6wg said:
pimpdriver":pyj1p6wg said:
I thought people would say "nice bike".

Nice bike, shame you're going to make it not be.

Just off to sand down the paint and throw some acid on it.

Rat look bike.

Everything will be reversible.

If I swap wheels, stem, seat post and bottom bracket, then it is only the same as removing them to change a puncture or grease or service the headset or bottom bracket.

I honestly thought I'd never come across this kind of attitude on here, the same as on some classic car clubs

I also have a classic Audi (also 1986), I want to paint it NATO green and bore the engine out.

Aud owners are supportive as it is another car being kept on the road rather than being scrapped.

Dora":388jf5b7 said:
I'm going to turn my nice original Road Ace into a hipster fixie is the kind of post to put on LFGSS, not RetroBike :)

What's a hipster?

I do have a Timbuk2 courier bag which I bought in 1998.

I also built my first fixed wheel in 1999.

Well before the "trend" I think.

Dora":180ioowo said:

LFGSS know you're only supposed to do conversions to gaspipe bikes, and only on the cheap. By the time you're at 531c and Shimano 600 level donors it's like, what are you doing? Trade it for an actual track frame. Anything else is a waste.

Bats":1xufh1wq said:
Dora":1xufh1wq said:

LFGSS know you're only supposed to do conversions to gaspipe bikes, and only on the cheap. By the time you're at 531c and Shimano 600 level donors it's like, what are you doing? Trade it for an actual track frame. Anything else is a waste.

Now for sale, cos I'm a hipster:

Put your money where your mouth is!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=307332

Back