1985 Mongoose AT Pro- A Very Special Project

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
1985 Mongoose AT Pro

I thought I would start a build thread for our latest project. Things have been quiet in the surgery this year as i have been concentrating on building up new frames and sorting all the gear that entails.

Apart from rebuilding the Klunker, i've not restored an oldskool bike this year and had no intention until this turned up in the classifieds. My love for early 80's bike is as strong as ever, and although this bike isn't rare or high end, i thought it had a certain charm and looked like a fun project.

I'm not taking all the credit though. This is a joint project between myself and my two daughters, Lola aged six and Daisy aged four. They have become mad keen on bike bodging this year and this will give us something to do on those cold dark evenings until we can get out and ride again.

With help, they have already stripped, bagged and labelled the whole bike and made a start on polishing everything up. I'm amazed at the patience they have. The polishing work they have already completed is outstanding and Daisy in particular has a real eye for detail and will work on each item until its perfect.

If anyone has a chimney to sweep send me a PM and i'll send them round :LOL:

Anyway. a few pics of the bike before they started. a big Thanks to Anne for shipping this over. ;)

IMGP1153.jpg

MTS-100stem.jpg

IMGP1154.jpg

IMGP1155.jpg

IMGP1156.jpg

IMGP1157.jpg

IMGP1158.jpg

IMGP1159.jpg

IMGP1160.jpg

It looks rough, but its all there and coming up good so far. The girls are deciding which way the build goes, and after looking at various bikes on here they have decided to deviate from the original build slightly. They decided that it should get blue tyres and cables to match the decals and that the grips need changing. They have already taken cables and grips (vintage Preston Petty's from a box that contains parts for another build that has stalled), and have bought tyres on eBay. Its a great learning process for them both- from the actual methods of restoration, use of tools, and things like using a computor, the internet, filling in forms and making payments. This project has really fired up their imagination and they are looking forward to taking it to school when finished to show their classmates.

The wheels will need rebuilding with new spokes and the fork has lost some chrome and will be going in the tank later this week. Apart from that, the girls will be doing everything (with a little help to make sure it all goes back together tightly).

So pull up a chair and keep popping back to see how they get on. I'm sure its going to turn out pretty cool! We hope to get it finished within the month and they will submit it into BoTM. They will also be doing the spec list and will take the photo's themselves.

Retrobike's youngest bike builders?

bc20b4a0.jpg

Frame gets a good polish with Autosol. Lola Right, Daisy Left.

Thanks for looking and wish us luck :)

Si, Lola and Daisy

lovely :D

wish my two boys had demonstrated a similar effort when I build them bikes !
seemed more interested in the final product though :roll:

but who is going to use the bike :?: ;)

Very Cool Bike, maybe you could tow the designers both round in a trailer when its all finished?

Cannot wait until my boy is old enough for a bike- he's getting a bike seat for Christmas this year :D

bduc61":30sshm8x said:
lovely :D

but who is going to use the bike :?: ;)

When we go out riding Lola has her own bike (and has already done the full green 8.9km route in Dalby just weeks after ditching the balance bike :cool: ), but Daisy is still on a balance bike so for now she rides on the back of my bike and takes loads of photos whilst we ride. I thought this would be ideal for the job- slack, comfy, upright and short in the top tube. I think thats why Daisy is so into this project- she sees it as her bike. :LOL:

Looks like it's going to be a fun process with the gals. Keep the updates coming. Fun to see the transformation!
-Anne

Lovely looking bike DrS,cant wait to see it finished :D

Hows Strangelove coming along,havent heard anything for a bit :?
UPDATE - :oops: :oops:

looks like a great project, was tempted by this bike too, very nice and sure it will look NOS when you and the girls are finished with it :cool:

So glad this came to our corner of the world, as I was thinking of buying it.
But now I'll get to ride it without paying the import tax ;)

Looking forward to seeing it out on the trails :cool:

Ps any chance I can book the girls as my chimney is due for a clean :LOL:

Back