1962 Claud Butler Cordon Bleu #14064 FINISHED Pg6

Good to see you out and about. Apparently set fair until festivities.
Hopping to get the Puppy @JimBobBirt out on the tandem tomorrow. He’s not ridden anything other than the Zwift trainer since breaking his collarbone

All the stars aligned today;
Sunshine
No wind
Time

So out we went for pleasant little run. All good, although it’s 72 degrees angles give a very different feel to my Colstar’s 73. Much more relaxed like my previous tourer/winter bike the Majestic.
A number of things need changing though, first the Holdsworth saddle for a Brooks, for the simple reason I want to hang a Chossy saddlebag so I can have somewhere to stash layers/tuck.
Then the Un-glide freewheel & chain need to go back in their original boxes to be either sold off or fitted to a period correct wall hanger, they’re ok, just letting down the 600SIS mech & DuraAce levers. A more modern Shimano MF-TZ30 Tourney 6 Speed Freewheel 14-34 & a CN-HG71 should make the shifting and general noise levels more tolerable.
View attachment 589467View attachment 589468
On my Ribble I'm running 10 DuraAce downtube shifters with an 8 speed cassette, it shifted the first 5 cogs ok then went tits up. By moving the cable above the clamp bolt alters the shift throw and now indexing perfect.. worth a try..👍

20201012_164143.jpg

On my Ribble I'm running 10 DuraAce downtube shifters with an 8 speed cassette, it shifted the first 5 cogs ok then went tits up. By moving the cable above the clamp bolt alters the shift throw and now indexing perfect.. worth a try..👍

View attachment 589509
I’ve heard that can help, but I’m not really suffering from a problem with the indexing, the 8sp DuraAce bar-end shifters are working perfectly fine with the 6sp 600 sis mech.
Well I mean everything lines up where it should when I ask it to, it just takes the Uni-Glide sprockets a little while longer to pickup the UG chain on the downshift (climbing up the cogs) I sometimes had to click on to the next then quickly click back to make the change.
Changing up the gears/dropping down the cogs is fine. I guess I’ve gotten used to the smoother downshift from my 90’s Hyper-Glide kit & have been happy compensating when friction shifting my old bikes, this is the first time I’ve tried early doors 80’s indexing.
If @legrandefromage is awake he might fill us in on what’s happening.

I think the spacing on the 8 speed is narrower than the 6&7 speed so moving the cable gives a longer throw. I foolishly bought the 10 speed shifters expecting them to work with an 8.. the spacing on 8 9 & 10 are all different so got mine working purely by luck rather than judgement..👍

Are you using the thick Uniglide chain?

First step is to carefully undo it, put it back in its packet and place on the highest shelf

Second step is to fit a half decent modern 8 or 9spd chain

'Slow' indexing sorted

The chamfering on the later chains aids the shifting and is really quiet. Uniglide sprockets are fine, the twisted teeth do work quite nicely

Its the first thing I did with my 6spd Uniglide Raleigh

and then theres my 1979 bike with 8spd RSX STI and 1984 6spd Shimano 600 Uniglide freewheel - it runs a 9spd chain flawlessly

*heck a late 1980's early 90's Sachs chain would be better than any of the original 'Uniglide' chains

1639513126033.png
1639513172401.png

1639513227133.png

Are you using the thick Uniglide chain?

First step is to carefully undo it, put it back in its packet and place on the highest shelf
Done, just before tea & swapped out the cassette although now I’m thinking I should put it back so I can compare.
Just waiting on a chain now.

I'd leave the original cassette on - much nicer than the later one and far more hard wearing, better quality, better materials

yadder yadder yadder

Back