1961 Raleigh superbe (Helio)

Re: RI kickstand

I got a replacement kickstand but I'm not sure if it's correct because it barely leans over its practically upright and almost tipping over in the opposite direction. anyone else had this issue?

Re: RI kickstand

karinexmachina":38ejcauw said:
I got a replacement kickstand but I'm not sure if it's correct because it barely leans over its practically upright and almost tipping over in the opposite direction. anyone else had this issue?

Here's a measurement of my '51 Superbe kickstand for reference. 26" wheels.

ch0qcPHl.jpg

Re: update

Been working on two bikes concurrently, this one and a Raleigh Chiltern from the 90s. British weather has been unagreeable with me but i got a new kickstand and a original key for the bikes fork lock. the next thing i'll do is sort the wheels out and show their condition. as for the kickstand its the correct size its likely just the fact that its resting on two empty tires..

Re: update

karinexmachina":33yi34w1 said:
Been working on two bikes concurrently, this one and a Raleigh Chiltern from the 90s. British weather has been unagreeable with me but i got a new kickstand and a original key for the bikes fork lock. the next thing i'll do is sort the wheels out and show their condition. as for the kickstand its the correct size its likely just the fact that its resting on two empty tires..

Ah yes, it wont work well if you have a flat tyre.........I've found that out in the past!

What have you done with the old broken kickstand? Let me know if you want to move it on? I fancy having a go a fixing it........(and I need one for one of my bikes).

Re: kickstand

Sherlylock its pretty broken right where the threading is. its sheard in half and looks to have been welded back together at some point. it was so dirty that i hadnt realised its been broke since before i got it. yet somehow it still worked. you will be able to see images of the kickstand in previous messages.

however I still have it

Attachments

• broken stand.jpg
    broken stand.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 995
Re:

If your interested in the broken one I can send it to you if you wanna pay for postage. It's only gonna sit around and take up space here since I don't have the tools to sort it out... I'll try my best to take an image of the thread condition. One side is still good but the other isnt. So I'm not sure it will still be useful

Re: Re:

karinexmachina":1jq7u6b4 said:
If your interested in the broken one I can send it to you if you wanna pay for postage. It's only gonna sit around and take up space here since I don't have the tools to sort it out... I'll try my best to take an image of the thread condition. One side is still good but the other isnt. So I'm not sure it will still be useful

Ooo yeah, that'd be good, much appreciated. Can hopefully get it welded & re-tapped.

Anything you need for your projects as a swapsies? Did I see you need a pie plate for the chaincase? Got one in black if that helps?

Re: Hub condition

So this might not have been the brightest idea I've had.. (like I have any bright ideas to begin with) but I have taken the hub apart. Before I took this one apart however I took apart an AW 3 speed hub to become familiar with these SA hubs. And that AW hub was a Grease hub I replaced the grease with lubricant (except for bearing areas of course). This hub looks pretty good for its age (better than the 1995 AW 3 Hub). I havent started cleaning the parts yet but I dunno if I need to clean some of these parts.

Attachments

• 4 speed hub.jpg
    4 speed hub.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 957
  • 4 speed hub 2.jpg
    4 speed hub 2.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 957
  • 4 speed hub 3.jpg
    4 speed hub 3.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 958
  • 4 speed hub 4.jpg
    4 speed hub 4.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 956
  • 4 speed hub 5.jpg
    4 speed hub 5.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 957
Re:

From a GH6 disassembly video ive seen the 4 small screws and nuts but this rear one has 4 big ones too.. looking at the old diagram is kinda difficult... do i remove these big nuts from the inner hub body?

Attachments

• 20200830_005205.jpg
    20200830_005205.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 953
Back