1960s Edwardes

There isn't a huge difference in the size of the wheels and there is enought adjustment on the brakes. It will make life easier in the long run as you will be able to get tyres more easily.
I managed to find some 26" Kenda tyres with an amber wall that look ok, they aren't brilliant quality but are better than nothing.

Picked this up via Freecycle last week - it's badged an 'Edwardes', a London cycle shop and I've no idea who actually built it.
Seems like a fairly basic club bike - nothing too fancy, but decent enough to last 40 years.
Lots of unbranded bits, cottered cranks, 26 1/4 wheels, Weinmann brakes and a Huret Svelto rear derailleur.
I don't think I'll ever know much about it for certain, but I'm very taken with it.

Spoiler Alert Warning - As this is (inadvertantly) a "Necro-Thread" from the year 2009

However, being a "Newb" here, I wanna state - That it's THIS thread that 'drew me to this forum' & caused me to join it (Gulp !)

My first bike was a gorgeous little Elswick Hopper - vary smartly appointed & with a stunning Metallic Turquoise/Candy Apple Red

That was around 1968(ish) - But by 1972, I'd grown SO tall, that I needed another brand new bike - Ideally a "26in Racer" (known then)

My 2nd bike therefore, bought "New" back in 1972, looked 100% identical to the bike above - Rich Woodham's bike (or so it seems)

Back in 1972, Metallic GOLD wouldn't have looked out of place, after-all, "It Wuz The 1970's, Maaaan" - (Cresta, Frothy Drinks, etc)

As a (tall, gangly) kid, I rather thought it looked quite 'restrained' - But then look a the appearance of artists on 'Top of the Pops' (then)

Edwards or Edwardes was the name, sticker, along the svelte & sleek looking top-crossbar.

It looked 'fast as a spaceship' compared to my li'l dinky "Elsewick Hopper" in it's 1960's "Batman" luminous (so it seemed) paintjob !

I loved that bike, with all of my heart - went everywhere on it, did everythingon it too (Ahem !)

1972 until 1979 it was in "mainstream" useage for - still used it from time to time during the very early 1980's

After that, I still kept it with me, (even tho' I wasn't using it), purely for "nostalgic reasons"

In 1988 , it got a rather sombre "revamp" - Sanded down the frame, primer, then "Matt Black" finish, but as smooth as silk

Even took it back to the shop it origiannly came from, in Chadwell Heath - Pask's - Top end of Chadwell Heath High St.

I mention this, because, just around the corner, in Crow Lane, Romford, was a famous bike/frame builder....

His name was VIC EDWARDS

Now this is where my six-decade-old memory kicks in (or tries to), BUT, just cannot remember which it was (Edwards/Edwardes)

Pask's (cycle/dealer shop), was either THE nearest shop to VIC EDWARDS workshop, or, at worst, a close 2nd - (Geographically)

I know when (in 1972, because I was with her), my Mother bought it, it was singlehandedly THE dearest bike in the shop !!!!

The cross-welding was SUPERB & everyone seemed to "rave" over it - Attempted theft was committed on it, twice.

I once confronted a 'Gang' of 8/9 youths, my age, singlehandedly - As the scumbags walked-off with My bike !!!!

Was queueing-up in a Newsagent at the time (back, facing window), but luckily, he warned me, as they were walking away.

Ran outside - confrontation ensued - I was in an Atomic rage - Went for the 'Hardest' looking one in the 'Gang'

Several 'punches in the face later' (them, not me) & still enraged, I picked-up my now rightfully retrieved Edwards/Edwardes racer

My elderly father has a field, many sheds are overgrown - My dear old 1972 bike languishes in amongst one of them.....**

** (All are 'down by the brook' & are heavily consumed in decades of Ivy & bracken !)

I know it had GOOD components for it's time & that I last rode it sometime in the 1990's

Am now comparing YOUR bike - (RichWoodham) - To this one I've seen, over on E-Bay UK - Current March 25th 2022

1st, Yours....

Edwardes_Rich.Woodham's.jpg

Then - Next - The 'Also Early 1970's Retro Bike' that bears far more than just a striking resemblance....

(it's on E-Bay, now, 26th March 2022 - opening starting bid at £125.00), seen below

Elsewick - Looks Like Rich Woodham's bike.jpg

Back