1958 Raleigh Sports

Just lovely, this is when a steel bike was really something, some, these days, in my view sneers at the term steel...

Looks to be a very solid and comfortable mount.

I think I'd be inclined to oil it up and ride it as it is! Maybe a new set of tyres but that's it. My '66 Raleigh RSW is in similar condition, with a bit of pitting in the chrome and old but not tatty paint with a few chips here and there. The pitting in the chrome stops you polishing it right back up and if you get unlucky you might get a flake splinter you. I gave it one polish at first and now I just maintain it by cleaning it with an oiled rag. Same for the paint - if you use a cutting polish it leaves white crusty stuff all over the frame, particularly in places where you can't easily polish it off, so I tend to use the same oiled rag trick. It's just a t-shirt sodden in oil and clean grease, but it seems to protect everything perfectly. That way you won't be scared to use it, no problem with it getting wet or covered in salt and the odd ding or scratch won't show up.

One thing I learned with the RSW is some parts are irreplaceable, so don't throw anything away. I don't know how easy it is to get those old tyres, but I foolishly chucked out the original wide white tyres on mine and put some new red-band Chopper tyres on it, but it's changed the look of the bike and I can't get hold of any more white tyres for it.

Slather the Brooks in Proofide, Dubbin or clear shoe polish and it should come up great. If you use Dubbin you'll have to leave it for 3-4 days to soak in and dry off before you'll be able to buff it up. Make sure the underside is well and truly coated to keep it flexible and protected

Thanks Jonny. I've more or less decided not to try to do any painting or replating at this stage (although maybe replating later - the rods etc look fantastic when shiny) but just to clean it, oil it, protect it and ride it, as you say.

I grew up on a farm and the first thing we did with a new piece of machinery was spray it with diesel and let it get dusty, to give the thing protection.

When I get the rear hub clean I'l be interested to see if it's the so called silent one - the SW, produced only in 1956-7. It wasn't as good as they'd hoped and Raleigh went back to the AW.

I've already doused the saddle in Dubbin.

My wife is now jealous of my 'new' machine, and by a stroke of luck I've found this for sale locally for AUD350 (STG239), 40 years old but in showroom condition. We're giving it serious consideration:

10hjb83.jpg

287dhe1.jpg

20u4uhx.jpg

Back