1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special #5412 8509

Banashapan":3gmyfura said:
This is great, looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers, more to come each day (although I’m starting to get some grumbling from my normally reasonably patient wife) :roll:

T– minus (RBotM June) 15 days & counting

For the main crank/chain ring I’m using this massive 52t Williams crankset, with 1/8” wide teeth, cleaned up very well with the old foil trick showing off the Williams name.
I believe this pattern was used way into the 70’s but by then I think they’d changed to more common 3/32” and losssed the “Williams” stamp I guess to save one more process/money?

Attachments

• 52tWilliams.jpeg
    52tWilliams.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 1,158
T– minus (RBotM June) 14 days & counting

I was getting a little impatient with the stripping and cleaning, so I thought I put a few bits together, just so I can feel I’m achieving something!
First job I decided to do was get the head together, so into the pig freezer went the forks for a couple of hours, and I hung the bottom bearing ring in front of my heat gun for about 10 minutes. This proved enough to shrink the forks and expand the ring so as to allow it to fall pretty much into place with the lightest of taps from a piece of softwood.

Attachments

• Head.jpeg
    Head.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Frozen.jpeg
    Frozen.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Freezer.jpeg
    Freezer.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,143
Re:

If it had fillet joints of sifbronze I would expect a small magnet would have less adherance where the joint is.A magnet will stick to cast iron or steel with some variations.

Historically I was always more interested in making the sometimes poor design and quality of our equipment functon beyond expectations than the appearance. But increasingly I find I can't rely on my memory.

Keith

Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

My opinion as well is that this Olympic Path is a 1949 frame.

I would be curious to know what the letter E signifies. I wonder if it perhaps signifies that this (likely special order) frame was built by Norman Ephgrave (Les Ephgrave's brother). In researching the Ephgrave brothers little comes up about Norman. In looking at articles at Classic Rendezvous and Classic Lightweights it is stated that both brothers worked at Claud Butler and that Les left in 1948 to open his own shop. In Classic Rendezvous article it states that Norman joined his brother but doesn't state when. Les usually used LE with serial number of frames he built. Perhaps Norman simply used E at least while at Claud Butler?

Guess, at this point this is pure speculation on my part. Although... fun to do so.

Any way, perhaps someone in the know has some words of wisdom. Otherwise this may be a question for the VCC CB marque expert. Peter Holland, Ephgrave marque expert, wrote article in Classic Lightweights.

Doug

Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

CBguy":320v2f7p said:
My opinion as well is that this Olympic Path is a 1949 frame.

I would be curious to know what the letter E signifies. I wonder if it perhaps signifies that this (likely special order) frame was built by Norman Ephgrave (Les Ephgrave's brother). In researching the Ephgrave brothers little comes up about Norman. In looking at articles at Classic Rendezvous and Classic Lightweights it is stated that both brothers worked at Claud Butler and that Les left in 1948 to open his own shop. In Classic Rendezvous article it states that Norman joined his brother but doesn't state when. Les usually used LE with serial number of frames he built. Perhaps Norman simply used E at least while at Claud Butler?

Guess, at this point this is pure speculation on my part. Although... fun to do so.

Any way, perhaps someone in the know has some words of wisdom. Otherwise this may be a question for the VCC CB marque expert. Peter Holland, Ephgrave marque expert, wrote article in Classic Lightweights.

Doug

Hello Doug,
Your comments and thoughts are always welcome… :D

First job Monday morning will be to print off a VCC application form and send it off asap.
(unless someone can point me towards a digital form of application?) :?

T– minus (RBotM June) 13 days & counting

Next 'nice' job in-between cleaning up the nasty Fiamme rims, was fitting the bottom bracket axle and cups, then fitting that big Williams 1/8th - 52t crank, after a few attempts and a bit of cotter-pin fettling, she running nice and smooth and of course super shiny!

Attachments

• Williams52t.jpeg
    Williams52t.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,126
  • CotterPin.jpeg
    CotterPin.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,126
  • BaylissWiley.jpeg
    BaylissWiley.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,126
Re: Re:

The History Man":jyaz73b6 said:
Is that the same green/cream as my overbury’s tourer? Very nice.

Yarp...that's the one, when I found the mid-green flam under the pale green rattle can job Iwas propper chuffed having already admired your Overbury... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back