1948 Evelyn Hamilton

Re:

So much does'nt add up.She is meant to be one of the women in this photo taken in 1945.

Attachments

• EH FFI Group LondonDepotCentral1 1945 EdwardMandinanStudios 1000061TN.jpg
    EH FFI Group LondonDepotCentral1 1945 EdwardMandinanStudios 1000061TN.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 256
They appear to be wearing the uniforms of the Free French Forces. The woman at front left could be EH I suppose but the one on the steps looks nothing like her to my eyes. Given her accounts, I cannot see why she would have been a member of the Free French Forces though - but I am no expert in these matters. There must be records somewhere of all this including her participation (if any)

Re:

No it doesn't look like her at all (unless she is pulling a funny face, or perhaps has a whistle in her mouth? hard to tell )
Here's a picture of her in uniform - is that a FFF uniform?

In regards to the earlier question, when I visited her as a child she had a bike in the house and a cabinet full of trophies. I think someone told me the bike went to a museum, not sure if local or not and if the trophies went also. I will ask if anyone knows..

Yes I'm a bit sceptical of the parachuting tale. The rumour that persists in the family is that she was in Paris in the war and had a tandem and used to transport servicemen across Paris on the back of it (they were always wearing the same clothes but it was a different soldier each time). She would wave at German soldiers flirtatiously to distract their attention. Possibly another tall story but perhaps a bit more likely than parachuting?

Attachments

• 11178793855_c86287aae4_k.jpg
    11178793855_c86287aae4_k.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 236
Re:

That's a Red Cross uniform,i agree that neither of the women look like her.They are not in F.A.N.Y or ATS uniform and do look very scruffy,the camera must have had a flash on it which seems to have reflected off the brass buttons and cap badges.They are not wearing belts either ?

The men in the earlier photo look like Free French to me. Even the way they wear those berets seems to indicate this. plus the location. I agree that the 2 women in the photo do not look like her. The photo of EH sporting a Red Cross outfit and cap gives credence to her being a nurse. Her claim to have been at Dunkirk during the evacuation though is another matter. I quite like all the contradictions and unsupported storied. It simply adds to the enigma that she was. We really do need to track down her medals etc. I live close to Swaffham....I wonder ? Difficult with COVID but maybe there will be information available there somewhere

This photo appears to indicate that she was in London to have this photo taken in August 1942. The stamp on the back seems to be a studio stamp of a photographer in the Strand

Attachments

• STRAND AUGUST 1942.jpg
    STRAND AUGUST 1942.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 200
VeloFellow54":2lf32jc3 said:
The men in the earlier photo look like Free French to me. Even the way they wear those berets seems to indicate this. plus the location. I agree that the 2 women in the photo do not look like her. The photo of EH sporting a Red Cross outfit and cap gives credence to her being a nurse. Her claim to have been at Dunkirk during the evacuation though is another matter. I quite like all the contradictions and unsupported storied. It simply adds to the enigma that she was. We really do need to track down her medals etc. I live close to Swaffham....I wonder ? Difficult with COVID but maybe there will be information available there somewhere

The sign on the wall would support your idea that they were FF.

Really enjoying this thread. Lovely bike to start with, followed by quite a bit of history (and maybe some fiction)!

Evelyn sounds like a charecter and the late 40s/ mid 50s is possibly (aesthetically anyways) my favourite period of history.

Re:

Her tales of SOE are all just tales.Here are "real" SOE women who paid with their lives. :(

Attachments

• DSC00501.JPG
    DSC00501.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 104
Back