1948 Claud Butler Avant Coureur #82595

Re: 1948 Claud Butler Avant Coureur #82395

Peachy!":30g6mdfe said:
Retro Spud":30g6mdfe said:
I looked at the pics and I smiled at all the patina (rot, scratches and rust) - knowing that like me you’d sweep it all away and take it back to the bike it once was, or as close as possible to what went out the bike shop door when new on day one.

Absolutely Nick... This frame was absolutely top draw back in its day and deserves to shine again... letting it slowly rot from the inside under a “protective clear coat” is not my Darjeeling darling.. :cool:
Its not my lapsang souchong either, it was all shiny originally and very much deserves to be so again. I've never really bought into clear coat over the patina thing with anything old, its just lazy in my book and scruffy with clear coat is still scruffy.

Anyway looking forward to this one progressing so comfy chair and popcorn at the ready.

Peachy!":1ea4vwc4 said:
Jamiedyer":1ea4vwc4 said:
Great find regardless of model but I am sure if anyone knows a Claud then it is yourself, and so I am sure it will be the greatest of finds once confirmed. :)
It's a very good survivor and looks a pretty good base to start from. Everything looks serviceable.
What would be the plan for it? or does that depend on confirming what it is first?

Jamie

Well.....I'm all for preserving history...but. this will be the only original Claud that really fits my 34" inside leg. So, I'm going to want to ride it. A lot of the running gear is not original although near period, so I won’t be too precious about that.

If it is what I think it is I do have some very very fine period kit sitting waiting in wrapped in oil rags for something just like this.
So, I think it’s going to have to be nothing less than a very top end full restoration.
Re-chromed, then this one will definitely be re-sprayed by the only sprayer I can trust to do exactly what I want (me)
I will also look at making the decals as water slides not vinyl.

Kit list will include
1949 Clement Albione 27” rims
1950 Cinelli #1 stem
Probably a Simplex rear derailleur, with 4 speed freewheel
A set of British Hubs Airlite
Birmalux seat post
Brooks Swallow saddle
Chatter lea cranks & pedals

You get the idea…… :cool:

Sounds like this is gonna be well worth a watch. :cool:

This era is one that I don't know a great deal about. Would love it if you could give some info about frame and component development from this sort of time while you post about the restoration. ;)

firedfromthecircus":994aemxp said:
This era is one that I don't know a great deal about. Would love it if you could give some info about frame and component development from this sort of time while you post about the restoration. ;)

Certainly will do where possible, but to be honest the real golden gems of info come from the proper old guard who were working in the industry back in the 50's, 60's & 70's. there are a few here who haven’t quite fallen off their bicycles yet! ;)

Well it’s arrived! :D

And I’m happy to confirm the two things I wanted to check with my own eyes;
1. The frame number, which of course had been read incorrectly, it’s actually 82595. Which makes more sense as 595 fits better with a February build count than 395.
2. The B.B. is a British ISO and not a pre-war Chater Lea job (which might have pointed towards 1938 rather than ‘48

Also the flat metal Olympic head badge (very much circa 194:cool: seem to have its original rivets....

More detailed strip down and catalogue at the weekend. :D

Attachments

• E1A0B413-1BE3-4DF7-AFC3-18C6482CBDC1.jpeg
    E1A0B413-1BE3-4DF7-AFC3-18C6482CBDC1.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 4D9DB75D-5A74-4C3D-B51A-38D04510360E.jpeg
    4D9DB75D-5A74-4C3D-B51A-38D04510360E.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 638
Re:

Looking very good and clearly the start of something very special. Looking forward to watching it progress :)

Jamie

Looking forward to this. I have high expectations that I’m sure will be met.

Jamiedyer":2hl1twhs said:
Looking very good and clearly the start of something very special. Looking forward to watching it progress :)

Jamie

The History Man":2hl1twhs said:
Looking forward to this. I have high expectations that I’m sure will be met.

Cheers Gents, I must admit I’m chomping at the bit to get started on this, just need to tie up a few loose ends on three other builds.... (Daughters Shaman, plus mine & the lads Lotuses)

I know what you mean with distractions, I have still to start assembling my Mercian I got painted in July.
Just been so busy lately with bikes, canoe, family etc, all good of course as it really feels like I have packed a lot into the summer. I think the last 6 or 7 weekends I have only been home for 2.
Now I am getting impatient to get the Mercian built and get out riding, though I still have the Jack Taylors and also a sneaky project waiting for far too long in the loft.
It's good to have problems like these, lucky to be in this position.

Jamie

Peachy!":2z8rqgkp said:
Well it’s arrived! :D

And I’m happy to confirm the two things I wanted to check with my own eyes;
1. The frame number, which of course had been read incorrectly, it’s actually 82595. Which makes more sense as 595 fits better with a February build count than 395.
2. The B.B. is a British ISO and not a pre-war Chater Lea job (which might have pointed towards 1938 rather than ‘48

Also the flat metal Olympic head badge (very much circa 194:cool: seem to have its original rivets....

More detailed strip down and catalogue at the weekend. :D
No pressure or owt but I'm also expecting great things from this one so 2nd bucket of popcorn on standby.

Back