1941 Schwinn Excelsior Clunker build!

Wish mine said Union on them. These puppies still have a date with a tub of oxalic acid:

0904091044a.jpg

Cvisualize0001.jpg

You are motivating me to update my Prewar C thread. Using all the parts that don't make the Champion build for the "C". Indirectly collecting some pretty cool parts....

I will update soon.

Nice! I wish I had a matching front but hopefully I will be able to get both back into good working order and maybe trade a front for a rear. What does oxalic acid do? Is it good for rust removal? I have had good results soaking in white vinegar. It made the old skip tooth chain off this bike look almost new.
IMG_4100.jpg

Hmmm,
Looking at my ebay saved searches this morning on closed auctions, I am thinking someones bike allowance is ample enough right now that we may see a bit of movement on this project. A, by looking at your hubs, Iwas able to confirm my U (for Union) and light writing on my hubs. Had never looked at them that close but they are there. Just much lighter than yours.
Cheers,
T

Ductape":1quumguo said:
Hmmm,
Looking at my ebay saved searches this morning on closed auctions, I am thinking someones bike allowance is ample enough right now that we may see a bit of movement on this project. A, by looking at your hubs, Iwas able to confirm my U (for Union) and light writing on my hubs. Had never looked at them that close but they are there. Just much lighter than yours.
Cheers,
T
The writing on both of mine are different. One is stamped, the other is etch. Other than that they are identical inside and out. I soaked them in Rainbow wood bleach that I obtained from a woodworking store. It has oxcalic acid and cost 7 dollars. I probably should have diluted it more because the results were very fast. One hub has some pitting but the other looks really good. Good news is the bearings are in great shape and so are the brake shoes. Freehub removal on one was a nightmare but both hubs are good!
IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

Scarfacexxx08":3ursb9ga said:
Can't wait to see the outcome of this :)
I hope the rest of the build goes as well as the drums. They came out very nicely considering. I can see why the klunker guys lusted after these. They seem very durable and easy to service.
IMG_4084-1.jpg

IMG_4083-1.jpg

IMG_4082-1.jpg

IMG_4085-1.jpg

Ductape":1r32q8q3 said:
Where is the front one....
The front one is not a Union. It is a brand made in Norway. Decent but I think a Sturmey would be better. I hope that I will be able to find a Union front to trade for one of the rears I have. Either that or I will just hold on to it, maybe have it re-chromed.

I have almost all the parts together. I have cold set the frame and checked the alignment. I am almost ready to start building the wheels.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

Back