1940s Gents Claud ARP

I’m going to speak the Shuttleworth trust about the project.
My gut is telling me keep as much originality as absolutely possible but to remove or at least attempt to contain the rust as much as possible, however the trust only allow working machines at the collection as it’s not a museum. Everything drives, rides, flies.
I’m with you on that, it must be great to know one of your projects could be cherished and preserved for others to see.

It’s easy for me to say leave the patina but there’s some tough work/decisions ahead. Probably the frame/wheels/maybe even the bars will come up to an acceptable level of presentation. The cranks look heavily pitted, as do the brackets for the dynamo as well as the brakes but I guess those could all find better replacements to give it functionality and an original look.

This has got the right ingredients for an awesome build thread!

Last edited:
Please please tell me it’s getting a polish/derustification and not a repaint!
Only problem is it would have originally been black. And looking at the photos on a larger HD screen I can see the grey has been hand painted around the CB decals

It does say stove enamel black in the original advert though lists coloured enamel as “alternative equipment”. Where the paint has been sanded away on the BB it looks like more than one colour on top of the yellow primer possibly a blue grey under the hand painted stuff? The hand painting kind of forces your hand with a resto.

It does say stove enamel black in the original advert though lists coloured enamel as “alternative equipment”. Where the paint has been sanded away on the BB it looks like more than one colour on top of the yellow primer possibly a blue grey under the hand painted stuff? The hand painting kind of forces your hand with a resto.
Rest assured I won’t be making any rush decisions until I’ve talked to the owner about his Dad & the bike.

Thread started here;

Back